Google Maps - Garmin Zumo

GOG 007

Google Maps - Garmin Zumo

Post by GOG 007 »

Even'g Chaps/ess'es Now we are all good at something, my forte is mortgages and protection, (yes I know so don't even think about it !). I have planed a route for the Chilterns Chill Out Rally on Google Maps, but is there anyway of down loading it to my SD card for the Garmin. I have spent most of the day trying, and now I am going to chuck both laptop and Garmin in the Grand Union Canal, and use a map :( The death of the lap top and my sat nav lie in your hands :P
KTMChris

Re: Google Maps - Garmin Zumo

Post by KTMChris »

Google a program called TYRE

Use it with google earth and save your route as a gpx file

Put it on your SD card and away you go :)
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I find it easier to plan my route on garmin mapsource then just connect the garmin to the computer and save it to the zumo
You can convert and swap files i am sure someone will be along to help
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

This is what you need

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Go to the site and follow the (easy) instructions. You just save it to your toolbar bookmarks. get your route in google maps, then press the button and hey presto, you have a gpx file in text form. Just copy and paste the data into any text editor (not word) and save it as a .gpx then upload to your zumo. Job done.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Here is a nice tutorial which helps to make sense if it all
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

That's a very good tutorial..

Whilst there are several ways of creating routes, Mapsource is by far the best, dead easy to alter any routes created too.

Plus, as I may have mentioned in a similar thread, you do not need an internet connection.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Wow, never heard anyone say mapsource is the best at anything - its bloody awful

base camp and road trip are far far better and easier, hence garmin now dropping mapsource
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Been using Mapsource for about four years.... it's the best there is, believe me I've tried them all,(BUT it's a pig to get the hang of) as for Basecamp, doesn't even come close to Mapsource for convenience, and for me ease of use.. I seem to believe they're changing to Basecamp 'cos of some copyright thing, though that may be someone else's opinion, (can't remember where I read it), so it cold be nonsense..

edit to add, the reason appears to be that it's cheaper (for Garmin) to produce Basecamp and develope it for both Macs and PC's, than to alter Mapsource.. (apparently Macs can't run Mapsource) Or So I'm told..

Read the Zumo Forum, lots of moans about Basecamp.
howlingmoon

Post by howlingmoon »

+1 Way to go. After much confusion ,i was shown this way to plot routes and now find it quite an easy bit of kit to use. :)
Rederic wrote:I find it easier to plan my route on garmin mapsource then just connect the garmin to the computer and save it to the zumo
You can convert and swap files i am sure someone will be along to help
IntruderWithin

Post by IntruderWithin »

hi just downloaded basecamp for me garmin today and must admit i failed to get to grips with it. so back using google maps... :whistle:
At times of peace, plan for war.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”