An Evening Ride on the TET

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
MotoCP

An Evening Ride on the TET

Post by MotoCP »

Rode this short section of the TET tonight that’s just a mile away from where I live in Holmfirth.

First time I’ve tried filming a ride on my own. It was bloody hard work running up and down that hill to keep setting up the iPhone on a mini tripod.

I could have done a Benny Hill sequence with all the footage of me that I edited out!
dibbs

Re: An Evening Ride on the TET

Post by dibbs »

Brilliant work sir!!! and some good angles :D Speilberg should be worried.... :lol: :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

is that the one that drops down to the resivoir ... nicely done
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

First vote for the Benny Hill film.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Oh, and make sure you use the correct music :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

You've highlighted a real issue. It's great to have good footage of rides that you can look at in years to come and then remember good days out. But to capture those moments properly you have to keep stopping and starting, setting up, and almost 'directing' the riders to perform - which is kind of incompatible with a fuss-free fun day of riding.

We all used to stick cameras on our helmets and sometimes caught some good comedy moments, but on the whole we don't bother any more. It can all feel a bit staged. And yet a top story about a flipped bike or a stream drowning never works quite as well as a bit of video of the epic moment.

As we sometimes say, "if it isn't on film, it didn't happen..." :D
simonw

Post by simonw »

Completely agree. I think you need to decide from the outset whether you're filming a ride, or making a film (about a ride).
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Nice vid.

It won't help with the running up and down, but you can use your Apple Watch as a remote control for your iPhone's camera, if you have one.

Not sure at what distance it works as I think it's BlueTooth (not sure).
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

minkyhead wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 am is that the one that drops down to the resivoir ... nicely done
No, I was climbing up Cheese Gate Nab Side.

Your probably thinking of Ramsden Lane which isn’t that far away, but not part of the TET.

This photo is at the washed out bend on Ramsden Lane as you climb up from the reservoir.
8E8717E7-E577-4C51-A071-8B5015B7AA78.jpeg
8E8717E7-E577-4C51-A071-8B5015B7AA78.jpeg (325.73 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:32 am You've highlighted a real issue. It's great to have good footage of rides that you can look at in years to come and then remember good days out. But to capture those moments properly you have to keep stopping and starting, setting up, and almost 'directing' the riders to perform - which is kind of incompatible with a fuss-free fun day of riding.

We all used to stick cameras on our helmets and sometimes caught some good comedy moments, but on the whole we don't bother any more. It can all feel a bit staged. And yet a top story about a flipped bike or a stream drowning never works quite as well as a bit of video of the epic moment.

As we sometimes say, "if it isn't on film, it didn't happen..." :D
Yes it’s all way too much hassle and I agree with the comments that you need to tell a story.

To do It properly and keep it interesting, you need a start, middle and end with a mix of filming techniques (static cameras, onboard footage and drone work), dialog & music etc.

Your basically out just to film which ruins a good ride and in my limited spare time I just want a good flowing stress free ride.

I often think when watching action sequences on TV/YouTube, how many times did they repeat to capture the shot?
The clue is often in the amount of tyre tracks in the dirt/sand.

Return to “VIDEOS”