Galloway forest park

Where you've been and what you done
africajim

Galloway forest park

Post by africajim »

Back home safely, crackin weekend, much thanks to Austin from the XRV forum for the organisation of the event. It was a great weekend with crackin weather, met some new folk and old friends!
First casualty from the north was Lowflyer not making the trip due to commitments, SteveT's Alp had a dead CDI unit which had to be swapped out before we could leave, next out was Rickskye, trailed home with a puncture! Next to die a death was Raymo, electrical problems. So, six down to three! Myself, SteveT and Largewayround managed to complete the trip and return up the road to the north.
The Friday night was a night of drinking and meeting people! There were a few sore heads by dawn! The run started off at 10.30 Saturday morning, we covered quite a lot of miles on forest tracks, some loose bits, some ruts but generally good logging roads. Lunch was had at the bothie on the hill followed by a group photo shoot! Further miles were covered, unfortunately the last track for the day was deemed unpassable following a few going through a water splash, the bottom of the gully was very soft and would have caused grief! So we decided to abandon it and head for the Forestry commission cafe for refreshments before returning to base. Around 50 miles were covered offroad.
The evening was quite quiet with a small fire to sit round and chat but most were pretty worn out by the days efforts!
Sunday morning, we packed up after breakfast and said our goodbyes, a long haul back up north took us until 6.00p.m to get home!
A good event, the campsite was very good and the location was stunning, I will definately return to that part of Scotland again, the scenery, the roads, just brilliant!
Good to see old faces, XRVJim, SteveR, Piguglyshandydrinker, Boris from past XRV events and to meet new folk as well. Roll on the next gig!
(I'm fourth from the right in the pic! SteveT's first on right and Largewayround is 3rd, next to me)
Galloway_group.JPG
Galloway_group.JPG (86.57 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
Steve T

Re:Galloway forest park

Post by Steve T »

A few photo's from the weekend . .

Great craich, fantastic weather and a really good weekend of skiddling about in the dust.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Alun

Post by Alun »

Now that looks like the sort of weekend I'd have wished for, as it happens I've been dealing with a computer with the Blue Screen of Death, aaarrrgh.
highland_ali

Post by highland_ali »

Looks like a brilliant trip, passed you guys in New Galloway on our own wee adventure round that neck of the woods. Brilliant weather and great roads.
forum.JPG
forum.JPG (19.66 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

20 or so Blokes & 1 Lady from all over the country meet up for the XRV Forest Meet . Permissions were gained by XRV Member; Austin......

Meeting up with Raymo (sorry mate) , SteveT, AfricaJim at Braemar for a very nice drive down, lovely weather but of course the downer was ray having issues with his bike.

This picture was taken just before the issue became evident..

The campsite was informal but clean and lovely views.
Evening at campsite..

The trail ride on saturday was great , I mostly followed Austin (leader) as the pace at the front was nice and steady for me.

The forest drive was outstanding with lovely views.

Austin & Co , exploring the Bothy .

Lunch Time

Forestry Cafe

All in all , fantastic .. . Really looking forward to doing this again if it goes ahead next year.

Oh........ I forgot ... I had my video camera with me...
A present from my lovely wife the day before the trip so I was not sure what I was doing (no time to test out).
I have thrown together a quick teaser video to test out.
Its going to take some time to get to all the rest of the footage to make a finished video .

:woohoo:
Alun

Post by Alun »

Cool pics gentlemen and from the look of it a great time too. What's the deal with these forestry tracks, can you just turn up and ride (unofficially) or do you need to get permission (officially)?

LWR – what vid do you have?
africajim

Post by africajim »

Nice video LWR, I never noticed how straight that track was! No Wonder SteveT was bored! I amused myself by sliding the back of the bike occasionally, much to the annoyance of the tailgaters behind me! Tee hee! Amazin the chunks of rock the TKC's threw up!

The permission was sought through the Scottish Forestry commission and fees were paid by all who took part. Driving on SFC land is forbidden without prior consent.
Honda, the power of dreams.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

yip as Jim says permission was sought from the SFC , risk assessments, and meetings. And had to pay our administration fees.

But it was great being granted access as you just can go off road up here legally in the forest .

Great Fun

Video is VIO1.5
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

Hey LWR I really liked the video. I don't know whether it was intentional but I liked being able to see the person behind you occasionally in the mirror as well! Very professional!! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend!... :)
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

MidnightSerenity wrote:
Hey LWR I really liked the video. I don't know whether it was intentional but I liked being able to see the person behind you occasionally in the mirror as well! Very professional!! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend!... :)
Thanks , but thats just a rough edit to test out the settings etc .. I have over 4 hours of footage to get through .. and make 2 final videos, one for internet and one for DVD.

Its going to take a while .. and yes , I was aware of the mirror and glad it came out like it did , as I had no time to practice with it .

:) :)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”