'Monitor' screen for Garmin GPSmap 62s - anyone know of one?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Simon_100

'Monitor' screen for Garmin GPSmap 62s - anyone know of one?

Post by Simon_100 »

Mornin' all,
I use my 62s almost entirely for recording where I've been rather than navigating. But now I'm doing a lot of exploring by 4x4 I have a possibility of having bigger screen to hand.
So, I'm looking for a bigger screen accessory but can't seem to find anything out there. Does anyone know of one?
Regs
Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
redbikejohn

Re: 'Monitor' screen for Garmin GPSmap 62s - anyone know of one?

Post by redbikejohn »

My brother in law used to run a small notebook in a holder with a old garmin map60sc plugged into it. The map would show you your positions based on the GPS. I assume a tablet could be rigged up the same?
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

redbikejohn wrote:My brother in law used to run a small notebook in a holder with a old garmin map60sc plugged into it. The map would show you your positions based on the GPS. I assume a tablet could be rigged up the same?
Yes, I've thought a bit about that using my MacBook. One issue is keeping this running during sometimes ten hour days and the other is that it is 'mission critical in my life and I have some very, very bumpy rides exploring trails for the HISS and HUMM ...

A 'cheap' tablet might be an idea though - I don't know anything about tablets so how cheap can they be?

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Something like a Samsung tab A is a couple of hundred but the S series is 400.
Yamaha tenere 700

redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Ref the rough roads. I think he used a ram mount for his notebook and we went on some very serious roads in Namibia and north west cape and it was fine. It had a bendy arm like you get on phone mounts but much bigger and thicker and bolted to either the floor or transmission tunnel.
Yamaha tenere 700

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

If you go for a tablet, might as well use the GPS that is built in to it, they are very good these days
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Some tablets might only have assisted GPS. Garmin's pick up the GPS signal quicker and easier in difficult conditions.
Yamaha tenere 700

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hi guys,
I'm looking at the Amazon Fire 7, which seems too good to be true for about £50 - is it?
I still need the Garmin fir recording waypoints as I go - pinpoint accuracy fir the HUMM especially as it's a kind of paper chase where riders have to find tiny aluminium tags that I nail to trees,etc. ...
Question, could I load Basecamp to the Amazon? I really do know nothing about tablets and living as I do in the back of beyond they aren't the subject of every day conversation ... 20 years ago I was a big cheese in a big IT project and got all the latest, now nothing, but TBH I'm happier this way! (thumbs)
Regs
Simon

bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

if its in a vehicle why not just take a laptop with mapping software, my memory map reads the Garmin when plugged in and shows position on full screen map (thumbs)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

bill_qaz wrote:if its in a vehicle why not just take a laptop with mapping software, my memory map reads the Garmin when plugged in and shows position on full screen map (thumbs)
Good idea and may stick with it, but as in the OP the laptop in question is too precious to go where I go with the Garmin ...

PS just looked at the Ram Mount solutions - far too expensive and cumbersome ...

Regs

Simon

Return to “TECHNICAL”