Tall tent?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
SteveR

Tall tent?

Post by SteveR »

Advice please from all you hardened bike campers.

I am considering a tent you can stand up in. I've had two Khyam's the Highlander and now got a Biker, both fitting easily enough on the bike etc, but heavy. I have always loved the instant pitch and take down aspect though and the decent build quality.

However, with creaking joints and limbs, I reckon a tent to stand up in would make a big difference in my whole camping experience. :whistle:

I looked at Khyam Freelander but I would need a GS to carry the weight!! 12 kgs with groundsheet... I reckon it'd weigh down the little NX400 too much!:-(

I have seen a couple of lighter, yet tall tents about over the years, so any recommendations please folks? I should say that I am a solo camper, no one wants to be near me.... :whistle:
Jak*

Re: Tall tent?

Post by Jak* »

You could try this one
https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Te ... =118034000
although it might be too big for one person it is lightweight and the design where you have a low sleeping area to keep you warmer and a high vestibule makes a lot of sense.
Very expensive though.
Cheers Jak
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Jak* wrote:You could try this one
https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Te ... =118034000
although it might be too big for one person it is lightweight and the design where you have a low sleeping area to keep you warmer and a high vestibule makes a lot of sense.
Very expensive though.
THanks Jak, just a bit out of my budget I am afraid though, like 300 quid too much ;-)

I have seen a recommendation for one of these on a camping forum. Used to be several hundred quid too. Looks a bargain, but no where near me.
GB

Post by GB »

As much as we are all hung up on the weight thing (me especially) pack size is probably more important. I think the Nomad Redverz will fill your needs if you must stand up, they do a single man version now at 5.4kg, which is 4kg heavier than I would want but it suits your needs.........................
Finally back on a GS :D
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

If yo want a tent you can stand up in but doesn't weigh a tonne, I'd be looking at teepee tents Steve. How much you want to spend is the question!

Something like the Aluxe Mega Horn (many variations) - none are cheap but they're comparable with a decent dome / tunnel. You're getting standing room of over 2 metres but still around 5kg weight.

Backpackinglight.co.uk is a good place to browse, but there are plenty of others to choose from out there (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

This one is still expensive (although a fair bit cheaper than the Vaude) and still a three person
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-s ... ing-tent-/
not quite such a clever design but in my experience Terra Nova make quality products.
Cheers Jak
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

High tents are cold and get loads of condensation steve. I would have thought something like the Vaude posted by Jak would be ideal. We have looked a few times and fancy something similar but never bitten the bullet yet. The Redverz Atacama is even more expensive but seems to be the mutts nuts. I think Vango do a similar one at a more reasonable Vango price point.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

AustinW wrote:High tents are cold and get loads of condensation steve. I would have thought something like the Vaude posted by Jak would be ideal. We have looked a few times and fancy something similar but never bitten the bullet yet. The Redverz Atacama is even more expensive but seems to be the mutts nuts. I think Vango do a similar one at a more reasonable Vango price point.
Great advice there.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

GB wrote:As much as we are all hung up on the weight thing (me especially) pack size is probably more important. I think the Nomad Redverz will fill your needs if you must stand up, they do a single man version now at 5.4kg, which is 4kg heavier than I would want but it suits your needs.........................
I can live with that sort of weight I agree GB. As you say, pack size matters, which is why I sold my original Highlander as it was just too wide without panniers on a bike! I am sure I have seen a Nomad somewhere, very nice quality. (thumbs)

You at Banham next weekend...?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

AustinW wrote:High tents are cold and get loads of condensation steve. I would have thought something like the Vaude posted by Jak would be ideal. We have looked a few times and fancy something similar but never bitten the bullet yet. The Redverz Atacama is even more expensive but seems to be the mutts nuts. I think Vango do a similar one at a more reasonable Vango price point.
I like the idea of a sleeping area and a larger, high "living" area. Whether it is actually feasible for me and solo camping I'm not sure Austin. I do wonder how long I will keep going camping, although I do enjoy the whole process and experience. Just checked out the Atacama... VERY nice indeed....

I alos quite like the idea of running across France, using cheapie F1/Premiere Classe type Hotels as I go, but they don't exist here or anywhere much... and when you get to a destination such as the HISS, camping is the affordable option.. So tents it is

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”