XV535

The Things We Ride
herman

XV535

Post by herman »

Anyone got anything bad to say about Yamaha's XV535 before I buy one for Mrs Munster? B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
fionaann

Re:XV535

Post by fionaann »

Hi Herman'
I used to own a 535 virago, and i loved it, it was good fun, it was good to sit on a bike and have my feet flat on the ground, good for control, very comfartable to sit on, hope this helps sir, :)
Life is for living so go out there and live it, have fun, be happy.
davsato

Post by davsato »

quite a sweet little bike, very reliable but any still around now will be pretty old, look carefully before you buy but i cant remember anything specific to watch out for, just the usual for an older bike (corrosion inside wheel rims, and on frame, subframe etc. loose/broken spokes, alloy gets a bit furry) but a lot of it is actually plastic, like the chromey fake airfilter things. rear drum brake if i remember right, nothing wrong with it except what happens to all drum brakes, they can fill with dust over time and seize up, have a look at that make sure its working but if it has its no biggy to clean out. and i seem to remember the rear tyre was a funny size? make sure its got some life left in it because it may take a while for your local tyre guy to order one in. and they look really great in purple metalflake. i like the 80s cruiser look, i nearly bought a 1100 virago once.

i dont need to tell you its not going to set the isle of man alight at the TT, but its a nice pleasant ride and these days a rare sight, something different. probably get classic insurance for it?
Dave
herman

Post by herman »

Thanks folks,as with most of my plans things seem to change at the last moment. We/She is now the pround owner of an XV250. Tried a 535 but felt the weight a little daunting so rather than scare herself thought a while on the 250 to gain confidence would be a good plan. If it means she is back on 2 wheels then I'm for it.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Hmmm - okay

2nd gear tends to explode and take out the engine, also bent selectors for top and first giving false neutrals... Yammie tradition

Fork legs are known to rot under the chrome and need replacing very quickly. Aftermarket ones are a good fix, so budget around 100 quid to get this fixed. So look for any blistering or raised spots.

Head and front wheel bearings tend to wear out very quickly.

Reserve switches never work, another Yammie trad...problem ask any FJ owner.

If there is a strong smell of petrol walk away...leaky tanks are not unknown.

Auto advance/retard units tend to seize in fully advanced ... or was that a Z13 issue...???

Not one of my favourite bikes and everyone I know who owned one had the above problems with theirs.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “BIKES”