Mapwell mapping software

Tramp

Mapwell mapping software

Post by Tramp »

Posted about this a few years back so though another mention would be usefull to folks...

it enables you to load maps direct to satnav harddrives (thumbs) ...saving space on the card for something else

http://www.mapwel.net/
Allan F

Re: Mapwell mapping software

Post by Allan F »

I'm none too clever with twat navs . First point is you need to purchase the software. No problem with that as people need to turn a coin. Being the owner of a zumo 660. According to the information some minor features don't work with the 660.

Tried Basecamp once & gave up after about an hour. It's one pile of merd ! Definitely not user friendly for IT nit wits.
Found this on the Internet = https://www.motogoloco.com/map/?route=2845 all for free.

Haven't tried it as yet as I'm shit scared of IT, of or more like incompetent ! Maybe some one with a bit of knowledge could give it a go & report back.

Thanks
desmo666

Post by desmo666 »

love this sort of stuff, motogoloco is great for creating routes for say a days ride out with friends, you send a copy to each person via mail and then they just plug there sat nav in and download the file regardless of make.
works a treat and is very very easy, and then you can ravel together or make your own way to destination.
maps i use openmaps as free and as good if not better than garmin.
garmin stuff does work but is not user friendly, quite the opposite in fact.
will look at mapwel thanks for the heads up
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Allan F, lots of people swear by Motogoloco, so use it with confidence.

Me? I like BaseCamp, running on my Mac. Yes, it's different to Mapsouce (which I had that running on my PC for many years) but fundamentally it's the same. The trick, if there is one, is to sit down and use it properly for some purpose, not just turn it on and then give up in fit of pique 20 minutes later.

If you haven't done so, I suggest that you try again, this time using BaseCamp to create a route or routes that you'll definitely use, say for a holiday. It's what I did when I had 10 people relying on me to create six days of routes to, from and around the Côte d'Or region of France. Yes, it was tricky at first to plot a route and didn't operate quite as I expected, nor did it work the same as Mapsource which I'd used for years. That I had never used a Mac before didn't help, either. Suddenly it all clicked and I'm no IT wizard, I promise you. I can now create BaseCamp routes on my MacBook Air, sitting at breakfast in a hotel if I have to. In short, I have no need to try Motogoloco. That being said, I may give it a go sometime, if only for fun and to see what all the hype is about.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Thanks Allan F - not come across motogoloco before. Looks interesting! I'll deffo have a play with it.
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Thanks for all the replies & useful info (thumbs)

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”