Digital camera

The essential art of farkling.
Boo Cock

Digital camera

Post by Boo Cock »

Due to a camera ground interface, I am now in need of a new digital point and shoot jobbie. Can anyone reccomend a good camera with good quality pictures. My last one was a Panasonic FX07 Lumix. It had zoom and wide angle,anti shake, video and all the usual bells and whistles, all for about £130 ten years back. Something similar would be nice!
DanielS

Re: Digital camera

Post by DanielS »

FX-07, a great little camera. I too had one (Still have it) for about 7 or 8 years. Took it everywhere and all my holiday snaps from the ride reports in my signature were taken with it.

Unfortunately mine now discharges the battery overnight for some reason. Even with a new battery it just kills it when it's turned off.

Like you, I like keeping it familiar, so I did some research, set a budget and ended up with another Lumix, a TZ-40. It was on special too for £160. It's gone back up to about £220 but if you fancy a refurb one from Panasonic with guarantee you can get one (4 left) for £169 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lum ... 4adb937718

[ebay]321511454488[/ebay]

The main selling points for me were ease of use, the menus are very similar as are the controls. Full manual mode for letting me have a play like I can on my DSLR, although I mostly just leave on "Auto" or "Scene Select". GPS, brilliant for seeing where pics were taken! Wifi is a bonus, I don't use it for transferring pics, but it also allows you to attach to your smart phone/tablet and use your tablet as a remote control and take photos remotely which is occasionally useful. Best of all is the 20 optical zoom, it's amazing!

It does all the other stuff, has a touch screen (Which I find annoying) Records HD video etc. You won't be disappointed :) Just my 2p worth

2014-09-0720.36.27.jpg
2014-09-0720.36.27.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Also, just to add. If you're handy with screwdrivers, you're welcome to my old FX-07 if you can pillage it for spares to fix yours? I'll even throw in all three batteries and a mains charger.
Boo Cock

Post by Boo Cock »

Unfortunately mine is past repair. Sounds like a nice bit of kit, but, I don't need wi fi thingy and touch screens a pain in the bum. But, I will look at one later and maybe the next model down could be less technical and therefore Booproof. :lol:
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

I've got an Olympus TG 630. Great piece of kit although not that much zoom but I can live with that. I stuck it to the tank with velcro so It's always there when I'm out on or off the road.
It's waterproof up to 5 meters deep and shockproof dropping it from 1.5 meters.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olymp ... view-22519

All taken while riding.

Except this one :laugh:

It'll end in tears I tells ya.
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Get another lumix they are awesome and for compact super zoom they are top of the class. There are some deals about on the Tz-40 as the 60 has been released. Have a look on hotukdeals
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Frog

Post by Frog »

Another Lumix fan here. Got a TZ35, really nice camera.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I've just bought an ixus 150. Pics are ok, but is small enough to use with just my left hand whilst on the bike and no touch screen to bugger about with.
Also cheap enough at £89
Not all those wandering are lost
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I have a TZ10 and it's a great camera. Has GPS too, although it drains the battery like nobody's business.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Anothe vote for the TZ35 here. Cheaper and simpler than the 40. My wife bought it to replace her old Lunix which started to inexplicable drain batteries in about 15 minutes.

It's been good on the bike trips, concerts and festivals so seems fairly robust so far

Return to “ACCESSORIES”