Oh, what a shock

The essential art of farkling.
Alun

Oh, what a shock

Post by Alun »

Took my son for a ride on the back of the Tiger 955 the other day and even with the pre-load set at max it was like riding Captain Americas chopper in Easyrider. The back end was low and wallowing and the front end so high and remote that turning the bars made no difference to the direction of travel, a very interesting riding experience. Mind you, our combined weight was around 33 stone – he's a big lad.

With the above in mind I thought it about time I looked into after market shocks – any advice?
Treadtrader

Re:Oh, what a shock

Post by Treadtrader »

When i met your lad i would estimate his weight 12 stone max, anything you wanna share with us fatty!

Worth a look on Triumphrat forum, the Tiggers popular on there, bound to be some info on shocks.
But don't confuse spring and damping. Spring controls height and load, shock stops it bouncing. A change of spring maybe all that's needed.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Yes, had a quick read over at the Triumph forum and it looks to be the spring and pre-load – we were almost sitting on the floor and the front tyre was skimming the road. From what I can tell the stock rear shock on the 955 is not that great.

The lad is way over 16st, I've the shopping bill to prove it.
Andy Leett

Post by Andy Leett »

Had the same happen on my GS so put a set of Ohlins with a 150 rate spring (to cope with my 16 stone) seems to have done the job. Its important to get them built and set up according to weight riding style etc.
africajim

Post by africajim »

My answer? I just bought the best two up touring bike made to date! The mighty Varadero!
I agree with the Tiger complaint, I found mine brilliant one up but two up, even with the shock preload full up and the damping screwd up, it was like a bouncy castle!
The Varadero's Showa suspension is leaps and bounds ahead of the Triumphs, two up, four clicks on the preload, and the lights aren't scaring crows out of the trees! Speaking about lights,,,, the Varadero has, unlike the Tiger! Honda build quality shines through! Sorry folks, the Honda's a better bike in my eyes.:blush:
Honda, the power of dreams.
Alun

Post by Alun »

I found a temporary fix that works a treat; I told the lad to get his own bike. Seriously though I'm going to look into this in a lot more detail after the Alps trip. I've a 14 year old 885 Tiger and a 13 year old Sprint on original springs and they are both fine even after we've been to an all you can eat.

I've no experience of the Varadero, so no comment on the comparisons but how would you rate the Triumph Triple performance to the Honda twin. By the way, I've the race can fitted, and man, has that upped the performance ,all through the range.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Hi Alun, the 955i Tiger breathes a lot better with the race can and re-mapping to the ECU, mine pulled like a train! Loved the bike, that triple sound, damn! I could touch down the pegs on the Tiger so not a bad handling thing either, just a few niggles, two up was a bind, the wind noise and the lights, or lack of!
The Varadero has the torque the Tiger misses out on, top end there's not much between them. The Honda just feels more refined, the suspension is so plush compared to the Triumph. The mighty Varadero has everything the Triumph hasn't, like lights, suspension, a fairing and adjustable screen, I've not owned a steamer, just the 955 girlie, loved the bike one up but always felt I was just "putting up with it" two up.
The Varadero filled all the gaps, the newer 6 speed EFI model is a lovely bike to ride either two up touring or scratching around solo.
The Varadero factory has been moved from Spain and I presume it's time for a replacement, but I'm still waiting.
A new adventure Tiger could possibly turn my head but we'll see!

I'm not getting rid of my Varadero though, it's a lovely bike and my 127 mile round trip to the dentist today was a great adventure, don't remember how many times I wheelied the thing coming away from junctions but damn I enjoyed myself! (Country back roads, no other cars in sight!)
Honda, the power of dreams.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”