Long distance trials

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
ROCKOZ

Long distance trials

Post by ROCKOZ »

I'm interested in getting into these on my boxer.

I think I'd prefer this to the idea of rallies maybe because I learn to ride in a trials club on a TY80 many years ago.

Anyone got anything to say about it/information/where they are? A dates page like posted for the rallies?

All info welcome!

:)
Tramp

Re: Long distance trials

Post by Tramp »

..I ASKED THIS a while ago and info wasnt exactly in abundence :ohmy: ..so as the trf guys from each county are the real information guru,s thats where to start..

its all in the o/s maps but what is closed or tro'd is another story..
for the uk its really a non starter much to peoples disspleasure..also what is dooable on a big bike is ver suspect a small enduro is alltogether different..

abroad in the spanish pyrenees its fine..and dooable..
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Errrr.....

I am the Motorcycle Championship Coordinator for the Assocation of Classic Trials Clubs...
(LDT's).

Anything over 450cc (Class C) and you would be struggling on most LDT's.

Tho the MCC Lands End might be ideal fer a big bike.

Join the ACTC. You then get all the Championship and invite rounds mailed or e-mailed to you. As well as a quarterly Magazine and Trophies in the Championships.

http://www.actc.org.uk/how/ACTC%20ENTRY ... 202011.pdf Same cost as 2011 (Form Date).

Fer details click on the links in my signature.

You can always PM me for more details.

:)
ROCKOZ

Post by ROCKOZ »

Nothing is too difficult on a boxer! I think you'd be surprised where you can get one!
I like the idea of actually getting stuck but none of my local ish green lanes are a 'massive' struggle even in the bad weather!
A friend of mine did the Ilkley LDT on a Dommie 650 which I have as well BUT I recon that's a bit of a cop out :P
It's such a shame there aren't any really locally!?
palace15

Post by palace15 »

Google 'long distance trials' I did a number of them a few years back mostly in the SW of Uk, Devon Somerset Cornwall, I did one of the 'big 3' run by the MCC but they love thier rules, a guy I knew was MCC riders rep and asked me why none of the guys at our enduro club entered, myself and another entered and at the start was given grief over a lack of tax disc, that had been ripped off and lost a few days earlier, I pointed out it was a new bike and therefore had roadtax, then they did not like the angle of my registration number plate(standard position)then, they are the only trials club I have come across that does not accept riding numbers on the back of a crash helmet and must be on a purpose built holder attached to the bike, then they wondered why bike entries were falling!
The best 2 LDT's I ever did were the Exmoor clouds run by the Minehead club and the Neil Westcott memorial trial run by the Exmoor MCC.
http://www.actc.org.uk/
Hope this helps.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

ROCKOZ wrote:Nothing is too difficult on a boxer! I think you'd be surprised where you can get one!
I like the idea of actually getting stuck but none of my local ish green lanes are a 'massive' struggle even in the bad weather!
A friend of mine did the Ilkley LDT on a Dommie 650 which I have as well BUT I recon that's a bit of a cop out :P
Trials routes are not all Green Lanes.....

Look at the results and see what bikes are entered... And wonder why... :)

They tend to take place all over the country so you have to be prepared to travel a bit..

The Ilkley is doable as are most but as I say you would struggle...
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

palace15 wrote:Google 'long distance trials' I did a number of them a few years back mostly in the SW of Uk, Devon Somerset Cornwall, I did one of the 'big 3' run by the MCC but they love thier rules, a guy I knew was MCC riders rep and asked me why none of the guys at our enduro club entered, myself and another entered and at the start was given grief over a lack of tax disc, that had been ripped off and lost a few days earlier, I pointed out it was a new bike and therefore had roadtax, then they did not like the angle of my registration number plate(standard position)then, they are the only trials club I have come across that does not accept riding numbers on the back of a crash helmet and must be on a purpose built holder attached to the bike, then they wondered why bike entries were falling!
The best 2 LDT's I ever did were the Exmoor clouds run by the Minehead club and the Neil Westcott memorial trial run by the Exmoor MCC.
http://www.actc.org.uk/
Hope this helps.
MCC Riders rep....? :unsure:

No tax disc... No Start.... But you could have protested and offered to post a replacement to the C of C afterwards...

No ACTC Club accepts numbers on the back of a Crash Helmet or Clothing (This includes the Exmoor and the Westcott). However as you normally are allocated numbers after Scrutineering then it gets forgotten about.

the reason the numbers should be on the bike is so Observers know where to look...

Numbers falling because of lack of a piece of tupperware on the bike to hold the numbers on... I don't think so...

This sort of thing only happens to new-comers to the sport that don't read the regulations... You would not enter a Road Race and have the Scrutineer be lenient... So why expect that from a Trial Competition?

PM me if you have input we could all benefit from to progress LTD's to more entrants, that would be useful.
ROCKOZ

Post by ROCKOZ »

MadRat wrote:
ROCKOZ wrote:Nothing is too difficult on a boxer! I think you'd be surprised where you can get one!
Trials routes are not all Green Lanes.....

Look at the results and see what bikes are entered... And wonder why... :)

They tend to take place all over the country so you have to be prepared to travel a bit..

The Ilkley is doable as are most but as I say you would struggle...
I have seen a R80 on the list and that's good enough for me!
The struggle is the fun bit!

A friend of mine 'mudwiz' on here is currently rallying a varadero and is finishing! To me, that is the madness I'm looking for :)
herman

Post by herman »

The only one I have done is the Witley one this year and it was very good, mostly small bikes but some of us did it on bigger stuff. http://www.witleymcc.org/ there is a thread on here somewhere about it. Have a look at the rallies too, most are ok for the big bikes http://rallymoto.co.uk/content.php I will certainly be doing a few more next year. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
palace15

Post by palace15 »

PM me if you have input we could all benefit from to progress LTD's to more entrants, that would be useful

PM sent
Dave

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”