Cornering

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
hodgerydoo

Cornering

Post by hodgerydoo »

Does anyone take corners different on an adventure style bike? I find I feel safer pushing the bike down onto the corner rather than leaning with the bike
Redmurty

Re: Cornering

Post by Redmurty »

counter steer, the bike will take care of it's self. Chill and go with the bike cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Kevin Schwantz stylee?

I came from a sports tourer (RF900) to a Varadero and I know one thing, cornering on my Vara with wide upright bars is more fun than I had anticipated. B)

Technique wise, the only real difference is that I don't hang off the Vara in an attempt to get the knee down, failing and looking a twat :laugh:

I'm now all upright and majestic looking like a proper motorcyclist :P :laugh:
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
davsato

Post by davsato »

depends on the bike, most ADV bikes are tall with high CofG's so you'd be daft expecting them to feel like a sportsbike. also the geometry is different so they are a bit squirrelly and dont feel as planted even when they are. i remember when i first got my varadero, the first time leant it right over i thought "thats a long way down!" (and you can get your knee down jerry, but you look a right knob, ive been told)

jerry and spud are right, go for it, dont hold on too tight, countersteer and let the bike do what it likes. go just as quick, but differently. surprise the hell out of sportsbiking mates, i can accelerate through a bend because the weight of big bertha will keep the wheels on the deck, they have to wait till they reach the apex or end up in the hedge :laugh:
Dave
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Redmurty wrote:counter steer, the bike will take care of it's self. Chill and go with the bike cheers Spud ;)
Yep agree, first time I rode an 800gs couldn`t believe how well it went round corners, agree with Jelly knee down makes you look a prat,my question is can I wear my one piece leathers on the GS if I take the knee sliders off? :laugh:
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

Please explain countersteer to me. I get it with cars, but surely you do not mean hang the back wheel out in a slide and turn the front wheel to put on opposite lock.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Throttled wrote:Please explain countersteer to me. I get it with cars, but surely you do not mean hang the back wheel out in a slide and turn the front wheel to put on opposite lock.
You have to counter steer to ride a bike you just don`t know your`e doing it ;)
GENTLY push the left bar forward and you lean left, right bar forward and you lean right, just to be awkward I pull on the opposite bar to the way I want to lean but that`s just me and the way I learnt to do it.

First time I read about it I nearly ended up in a ditch as I heaved on the bars :laugh: GENTLY does it at first.
CBSTD

Post by CBSTD »

They only go down as far as the panniers :whistle:
Me karma ranover me dogma
davsato

Post by davsato »

basically you nudge the bar on the side you want to turn toward, opposite to steering a bicycle. because youre going faster and tyres are heavy and cone shaped you steer the bars slightly one way and the tyre takes you the other. notice the words NUDGE and SLIGHTLY

most people think they steer a bike by leaning over, but countersteer is what makes the bike lean and most folks dont have a clue theyre doing it. when you understand whats going on and do it deliberately its a much quicker and safer way to shift the bike round sudden obstacles in the road for example
Dave
moto al

Post by moto al »

hi ya.redmurty said counter steer. bril it works but it takes a lot of practice,funny enough i used it today with a bmw 1200adv right up my arse and i was on a 600transalp and left him for dead.cheers al
moto al

Return to “HOW TO..........”