Cornering

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
hodgerydoo

Re: Cornering

Post by hodgerydoo »

Been trying something else today. I still find roundabouts hard work 'cos I think I'm in the zone between steering like a bicycle (up to about 19mph) and counter steering kicking in, so tried pushing down on the right foot peg. That seemed to helped so tried it on other corners with active counter steering and found it made me feel more assured that the bike was planted on the tarmac. Any body else do this?
bull

Post by bull »

no i dont, let your body relax,you are trying too hard to control the bike.it is not a horse you are riding now :P be gentle with you movements and the bike will do the rest.
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

bull wrote:no i dont, let your body relax,you are trying too hard to control the bike.it is not a horse you are riding now :P be gentle with you movements and the bike will do the rest.
Mmm. maybe I'm trying to corner too fast.
bull

Post by bull »

dont be worrying about speed just yet plenty of time for that, i will bring you around the mountain mad sunday TT at 180mph next year :laugh: No lad what you need is to get on your bike on a country road on a wet day and just ride, nice and cool like, not speeding. thats all you need to do and do it as often as you can. also find a quit spot and ride around in a figure of 8. dont be afraid of getting the bike down in a bend even at low speed, relax enjoy it and you might passing me next year at the TT :silly:
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

bull wrote:no i dont, let your body relax,you are trying too hard to control the bike.it is not a horse you are riding now :P be gentle with you movements and the bike will do the rest.
At last some sense
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

bull wrote:dont be worrying about speed just yet plenty of time for that, i will bring you around the mountain mad sunday TT at 180mph next year :laugh: No lad what you need is to get on your bike on a country road on a wet day and just ride, nice and cool like, not speeding. thats all you need to do and do it as often as you can. also find a quit spot and ride around in a figure of 8. dont be afraid of getting the bike down in a bend even at low speed, relax enjoy it and you might passing me next year at the TT :silly:
ride through the country every morning and night, 22 miles each way, wet or dry, tried relaxing this morning and admit it felt better but its not normal corners thats bothering me its the roundabouts, should i be aiming for a counter steer speed or a bicycle steer speed? my bike steers like a bicycle up to about 19mph.
bull

Post by bull »

Christ lad, dont be thinking about counter steering or bicycle steering or any of that sh*t, because it is fu*king you up. You are counter steering anyway you just dont realise it. Dont be looking down at the front wheel in the roundabout be looking at where you want the bike to go. Watch your mirrors, keep eyes towards your exit, be in the right lane for you exit, lifesaver over the shoulder and go man go. You will find that the bike will almost ride itself around the roundabout, because you are not thinking or worrying about all that other unnecessary sh*t ;)
puppycharmer

Post by puppycharmer »

Throttled wrote:Please explain countersteer to me. I get it with cars, but surely you do not mean hang the back wheel out in a slide and turn the front wheel to put on opposite lock.
Get your push-bike out of the shed (You could do this with the motorbike but it might get expensive.)
Get the bike to balance with the steering set dead straight ahead. Pull the left bar back and the bike will fall to the right. This is because the headstock acts like a hinge between the two ends of the bike, which pivot on the tyre contact patches. The 'hinge' causes a proportion of the bike to move to the right, so it overbalances in that direction.(This is what initiates the turn when you are riding)

Do not worry about counter steering, you are already doing it or you would not be able to ride around corners.
Pass
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

"be looking at where you want the bike to go".

Thanks Bull tried that on't way home and it helped a lot! Maybe we should call you No Bull!

Now add to the counter steering bullshit and all's well :silly:
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

puppycharmer wrote:
Throttled wrote:Please explain countersteer to me. I get it with cars, but surely you do not mean hang the back wheel out in a slide and turn the front wheel to put on opposite lock.
Get your push-bike out of the shed (You could do this with the motorbike but it might get expensive.)
Get the bike to balance with the steering set dead straight ahead. Pull the left bar back and the bike will fall to the right. This is because the headstock acts like a hinge between the two ends of the bike, which pivot on the tyre contact patches. The 'hinge' causes a proportion of the bike to move to the right, so it overbalances in that direction.(This is what initiates the turn when you are riding)

Except at low speed, pull left go left.

Return to “HOW TO..........”