Cornering

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Jelly

Re: Cornering

Post by Jelly »

Still Gotta Pulse wrote:
Jelly wrote:
xtzrick wrote:
Still Gotta Pulse wrote: If you are pushing so hard you're worried about running out of road you should be on a race track.
Who said anything about being worried?

You don't have to be pushing hard to slip on something, my point is that you have less space between you and the edge of the road, therefore making any potential collision harder due to the amount if momentum still in you and the bike.
What is it with some of you guys on this forum? If you're going to use the quote facility at least quote the correct person! Second time in as many weeks.
Apologies mate, did it on my phone and didn't realise. Oops :blush:
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Jelly wrote:
hodgerydoo wrote:
Jelly wrote:That's because it is, and you have less 'run off' if you go wide. :pinch:
Eh? Really? Why's that then?
That question confirms my suspicion.

Troll.
Dont know what troll means but should have added why is the adverse camber different on a right hand bend?
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

hodgerydoo wrote:
Jelly wrote:
hodgerydoo wrote:
Jelly wrote:That's because it is, and you have less 'run off' if you go wide. :pinch:
Eh? Really? Why's that then?
That question confirms my suspicion.

Troll.
Dont know what troll means but should have added why is the adverse camber different on a right hand bend?
Just googled "troll" and no I'm not a troll Jelly. I said adverse cambers seem worse on the right, in response to YOUR question not mine, you said that's because they are and I asked you to explain. If you wanna offer advice and not explain yourself I'd suggest you dont f'ing bother. Your response confirms MY suspicion.

TWAT!!
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Jelly wrote: You don't have to be pushing hard to slip on something
This is exactly why taking a line that gives you the best view is important, it gives you time to re-act.

Also, taking a wide line applies to how you enter a corner, once you have a good view of the exit, if it's clear, tighten your line :)

The bike version of the book "Road Craft" has some useful info.

As does Dale Carnegies' "How to win friends & influence people" ;)

Rick
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

hodgerydoo wrote:
Just googled "troll" and no I'm not a troll Jelly.
Fair enough, I stand corrected, but is there any need to be so abusive?
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
special one

Post by special one »

C'mon chaps play nice, we don't need this on here, plenty of other forums for that.

Anyway, went out yesterday over market harbrough, I was riding my sprint, following some mates and come into a couple of S's, sharp right then sharp left, I felt I was a little too hot for the left so started braking, almost mid corner I had to ask myself what the bloody hell am I doing braking? I had to litterally tell myself to stop braking and just make the corner, which I did easily.

My point, even with reading the road etc, sometimes, for me anyhow, you just get out of flow / rhythm and make silly mistakes.

Did get some good air twice yesterday over some humps in the road though :)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Jelly wrote:
hodgerydoo wrote:
Just googled "troll" and no I'm not a troll Jelly.
Fair enough, I stand corrected, but is there any need to be so abusive?
OK, electronic handshake!!!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

xtzrick wrote:
This is exactly why taking a line that gives you the best view is important, it gives you time to re-act.

Also, taking a wide line applies to how you enter a corner, once you have a good view of the exit, if it's clear, tighten your line :)

Rick
I'm a bit late reading the latest posts in this and it seems that I'm in a minority in that I always pick the line that I'd use on a racetrack but staying inside the white line. Ok, that might mean I've got less time to react but it also means that I've got a lot more room to play with if I need to change my line and it's a lot easier to drift wider than it is to pull the bike in tighter if a change is needed.

Another reason for using the tighter line is that if I have to use a bit of brake the bike will stand up and go wider which is not a good thing if I'm taking a wide line to give myself a better view of the road.
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

AndyB wrote:
xtzrick wrote:

Rick
I'm a bit late reading the latest posts in this and it seems that I'm in a minority in that I always pick the line that I'd use on a racetrack but staying inside the white line. Ok, that might mean I've got less time to react but it also means that I've got a lot more room to play with if I need to change my line and it's a lot easier to drift wider than it is to pull the bike in tighter if a change is needed.

Another reason for using the tighter line is that if I have to use a bit of brake the bike will stand up and go wider which is not a good thing if I'm taking a wide line to give myself a better view of the road.
When I used to race I was told to use the whole track.
For a right hander, brake down the left hand side of the track (clipping daisies) turn in, clip the daisies on the right at the apex then accelerate drifting back to the left.

The only reason for braking or entering a right hander on the right is to defend the corner, to stop someone coming up the inside.

Rick
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

xtzrick wrote:
AndyB wrote:
xtzrick wrote:

Rick

When I used to race I was told to use the whole track.
For a right hander, brake down the left hand side of the track (clipping daisies) turn in, clip the daisies on the right at the apex then accelerate drifting back to the left.

The only reason for braking or entering a right hander on the right is to defend the corner, to stop someone coming up the inside.

Rick
I must be misreading this because I was under the impression that people were suggesting taking a line to give the best view. Now if that means approach the corner to give the best view then pick a line to clip the apex that's one thing but to me taking a line means that's where you go through the corner.

I'll read it all again tomorrow because right now I'm pretty tired after doing the Hafren Rally followed by a 4.5 hour drive home and the Ryder Cup is distracting me something rotten.

Return to “HOW TO..........”