Cook, or just heat water?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
-Ralph-

Re: Cook, or just heat water?

Post by -Ralph- »

gbags wrote:I love all these opinions, especially curries, beer and red wine but where the hell do half of you stash the kit?

Folding barbies, multi ring stoves, multiple pots, arm chairs? I even saw a cook set with fitting for full size gas bottle!

For me it's one pot cooking. Savoury rice, curry powder, fruit and fresh bread every day.
Tea and coffee, fresh milk in a coke bottle. Always make two brews, one to drink, one to go into a little half pint flask for the next break.

Pub for beers and email, then the big problem, needing a pee during the night.
Unless going to a pub or restaurant, I always cook. My mother always cooked fresh, my wife always cooks fresh, I can't stand pretty much anything that comes in a tin or a long life packet, if I have to I can force it down to fill a hole, but that's not enjoying food, it's just eating. Anything processed / long life my son will just take one taste then refuse it and go hungry, he's never had to eat anything like that all his life.

In terms of space, I carry a cook pot set with removable handle where everything stacks inside the biggest pot, so it's only the space of one pot to carry, then you can stash other stuff like your salt and pepper inside the smallest pot.

I use a basic compact gas stove so that takes very little space http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/outdoor-trekk ... stove.html

I buy salt and pepper in the mini pots like this http://goo.gl/k4giz5 and use similar size Tupperware pots for herbs, spices and washing up liquid http://goo.gl/qzlk0r

If I am using garlic or chilli, I buy fresh on the day or in the UK I buy these https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product ... =273042440

Olive oil https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product ... =258061785

Then you need a plate, bowl, and cutlery, and a sharp knife.

So except my plate and bowl, I can pretty much fit my entire kitchen inside a cook pot set and a Tupperware lunch box.

Buy what else you need fresh each day, and try to eat similar things for a couple of days on the trot, so if you buy a bag of rice, cook something with rice for three days until it's gone, then buy a small bag of pasta and eat pasta for a couple of days, so you aren't carrying a bloody larder around in your panniers.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Speedofile

Post by Speedofile »

andrew882 wrote:
gbags wrote:
...I suppose we could leave the port decanter at home? :whistle:
Bloody hell man, we're not savages.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Speedofile wrote:
andrew882 wrote:
gbags wrote:
Too true. One 'luxury' I hate to do without is drinking wine from a real glass, er, glass.

In the Basque Country there's a small yoke for serving a small beer measure called a zurito, they're also handy for pouring cider from a great height - to make it lively - as they do further west in Asturias and Cantabria - and they are also frequently used for wine.

The capacity is about 25 cl and it fits snugly inside my 'normal' thermal mug so it does' come to harm on the
road.

You get them in Chinese bazaars but it's worth buying form a proper shop for a toughened version - I think Arcoroc do one but it's a bit too 'chunky'! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gbags

Post by gbags »

Very nice, Spanish Biker.

There's always the trusty hip flask too, of course.
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Speedofile wrote:
andrew882 wrote:
gbags wrote:
Too true. One 'luxury' I hate to do without is drinking wine from a real glass, er, glass.

In the Basque Country there's a small yoke for serving a small beer measure called a zurito, they're also handy for pouring cider from a great height - to make it lively - as they do further west in Asturias and Cantabria - and they are also frequently used for wine.

The capacity is about 25 cl and it fits snugly inside my 'normal' thermal mug so it does' come to harm on the
road.

You get them in Chinese bazaars but it's worth buying form a proper shop for a toughened version - I think Arcoroc do one but it's a bit too 'chunky'! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Have to admit when my folks lived in Northern Spain the old man used to use the small mustard jar to drink his wine from these are a perfect size and survived many a drop.
Must have one somewhere will dig it up and put it in my camping bag.
thanks for the reminder Simon :woohoo:
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Benson-1215 wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
Speedofile wrote:
andrew882 wrote:
gbags wrote:

road.

Regs

Simon
Have to admit when my folks lived in Northern Spain the old man used to use the small mustard jar to drink his wine from these are a perfect size and survived many a drop.
Must have one somewhere will dig it up and put it in my camping bag.
thanks for the reminder Simon :woohoo:
That's another good sauce - ouch! (thumbs) - one make, I forget which, specifically has a 'jar' in the form of a 'glass' that a,so has a plastic lit. We use these to keep bits of cooking oil for next time but I'll think about camping too.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

Nutella used to come in a glass similar to the one a few posts up with a plastic snap on lid, not sure if it still does.

We use plastic wine glasses that we got when we bought some wine on Lisbon Castle.......they don't feel too plasticky .

D.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

deksawyer wrote:Nutella used to come in a glass similar to the one a few posts up with a plastic snap on lid, not sure if it still does.

We use plastic wine glasses that we got when we bought some wine on Lisbon Castle.......they don't feel too plasticky .

D.
Not the 500 gram size (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”