Recovery woes.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Andi_Archer

Re: Recovery woes.

Post by Andi_Archer »

Im not sure to ge honest it may be fine to charge the battery from the pack with it,disconnect then start but Id be warry of running the full starting charge through anything less than starter sized cabling.

Did you check your charging circuit or havent you tried the bike yet?
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

This post IS NOT meant as a criticism, and in your situation I think you were very patient.

What this post is meant to do is to question the value of and over-reliance most of us have on recovery companies, especially in day to day use in the UK.

If at 12:34 you'd got a taxi to the local motor factor and bought some jump leads, you'd have been sorted.

But lets say it was worse than a flat battery, if you had phoned round the local van rental depot's to see who had something transit sized sitting in the yard, you'd still have been home by dinnertime. And £25-35 quid for a 4 hour hire, it would be cheaper than the years breakdown cover.

The worst thing about the DIY approach is the need to leave your bike at the roadside while you go get the resources you need, but you ended up securing your bike and leaving it overnight anyway.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Did the first RAC van not have any jump leads?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Peirre wrote:Only 26hrs?
Try 6 1/2 weeks trying to get a triumph back from Lyon with the AA
3 months trying to get a Vauxhall Vectra back from Laon with Opel France under Vauxhall Assist / Warranty.
malcopopolo

Post by malcopopolo »

You could disconnect the battery from the bike (if worried) and use jump leads connected to the donor car for 20 to 30 minutes. (car engine running) The bike battery should take enough power to enable the bike ignition to come on and possibly start it, if not then a push start is highly possible.

Its worth carrying 6 ft of domestic mains cable (13amp) with crocodile clips if doing an overland trip if you have the room.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

-Ralph- wrote:This post IS NOT meant as a criticism, and in your situation I think you were very patient.

What this post is meant to do is to question the value of and over-reliance most of us have on recovery companies, especially in day to day use in the UK.

If at 12:34 you'd got a taxi to the local motor factor and bought some jump leads, you'd have been sorted.

But lets say it was worse than a flat battery, if you had phoned round the local van rental depot's to see who had something transit sized sitting in the yard, you'd still have been home by dinnertime. And £25-35 quid for a 4 hour hire, it would be cheaper than the years breakdown cover.

The worst thing about the DIY approach is the need to leave your bike at the roadside while you go get the resources you need, but you ended up securing your bike and leaving it overnight anyway.
£25 to £35 hire....minimum £100 up here. And I'd already paid for the RAC!
Liam gsa

Post by Liam gsa »

It's one of them sometimes it works a great i.e. Your picked up fast or sometimes it might be slow shit happens but the main thing is you get it sorted

P.s a bump start would have been worth a go it dosnt take to much of a push
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

malcopopolo wrote:Its worth carrying 6 ft of domestic mains cable (13amp) with crocodile clips if doing an overland trip if you have the room.
Yea we had another thread discussing jumper leads for a bike.Too small a cable and whilst it will charge from one battery to the other it wont carry enough load for the starter motor to turn over.I think the minimum worked out and between 4 and 6 mm squared for jumper cables so whilst smaller than the car type they would be still quite bulky even for a couple of meters and clips.The best option is a small portable battery pack which go from around £30 for those on the Chineese websites to upwards of £100 for the Antigravity types.Plus you can use them to charge your mobile and other devices.
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

i have been recovered twice and both times resulted in blown fork seals and on one occasions a bent side stand were they have strapped it down so tight.

Need more dedicated motorcycle recovery that know what they are doing.

Pete
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

MikeC wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:This post IS NOT meant as a criticism, and in your situation I think you were very patient.

£25 to £35 hire....minimum £100 up here. And I'd already paid for the RAC!
Where's up here? Last one I rented was £45 for 24 hours (Look at Longmarsh vehicle rental in Wellingborough). SWB low roof, but it was big enough to collect my Tiger from York.

I know you'd already paid for the RAC, but my point is with a motorbike, for day to day use in a populated area of the UK, do you really need to?

Unless you have really unreliable bikes and break down at least once a year, the cost is greater than the risk IMHO, better to self insure.

Same for most low value insurance policies, it's how they make their money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”