Miller's Tea Hut, Epping Forest

Info on biker meeting places such as Box Hill,Poole Quay, etc. Please start each post with the county followed by the place in the subject box i.e. Warwickshire - The Waterman. It'll make things a lot easier to follow.
Mad Cow

Miller's Tea Hut, Epping Forest

Post by Mad Cow »

A perenial favourite this one. Some may know it as "Bert's Tea Hut" as it was run for many years by Bert Miller. These days it's run by his grandson Bradley and a fine job he does too.

Just off the Epping New Road (A104) between Woodford and Epping Turn off towards High Beech at the "Robin Hood Pub roundabout, it is 300m on the left. It is just inside Essex but still within the M25.

It is a tradional Tea Hut, no indoors seating, just a few rustic benches in the car park. Serves the usual range of hot drinks, cake, rolls etc and virtually guaranteed to be some bikes there at any time

MAP
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
scouse

Re: Miller's Tea Hut, Epping Forest

Post by scouse »

Many just refer to it just outside of London as going to "High Beech" ... not strictly correct but a handy point of reference for newbies to find it but never heard it actually called Millers' or Berts' Tea Hut by the local bikers the 20 years I lived in Hertfordshire and went there at least once a month for a Sunday blat or a stop off on the way back from a rally :D

Whatever it gets called it's a top place to stop look at many different styles of bikes and have a chat with their owners ... and the tea ain't too shabby either...proper cuppa!
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

It never had a proper name but had been "Bert's" as long as I can remember but then I was a mate of his and used to do side car cross with him. Bert is now enjoying his retirement in the Philipines with a Philipino wife 37 years his junior! Last time I saw him he readily admitted he was a "dirty old man" :laugh:

It was also often referred to as "the lower tea hut" at High Beech. It was only after Bradley took it over that it was officially named "Millers"

The tea Hut at High Beech proper was always known locally as "Carl's" because you guessed it, it was run by Carl (he's gone too).
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

I think I've heard of that High Beach place, doesn't it get frequented by those southern cockney roughian types?
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I think I rode past that once?

My daughter lives in buckhurst hill, near loughton, Essex.

Is it off at J26, just up past the Jewish cemetery?
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
scouse

Post by scouse »

Jelly wrote:I think I rode past that once?

Yup that's the kiddie it's in the forest as per the instructions above. A fine place to stop off when negotiating the M25 :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

scouse wrote:
Jelly wrote:I think I rode past that once?

Yup that's the kiddie it's in the forest as per the instructions above. A fine place to stop off when negotiating the M25 :D
What's the craic with all those forest trails, can you ride em legally?
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Only if you work for the Corporation of London as a Forest Warden :laugh:

The Forest as it stands was created by Act of Parliament at the end of the 19th century "for the enjoyment of Londoners" (but we let anyone in these days) and is administered by the Corporation of London (i.e. The City of London) as a result there are virtually no public rights of way in the Forest but you pretty much have free rein on foot or when cycling to go anywhere in it's 6000 acres. Horses are allowed on the forest trails but not off of them (and only then with an annual permit) but nothing at all for the motorised user, i'm afraid.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG

Return to “BIKER HANG-OUTS”