Copying os map from sd card to garmin basecamp

dibbs

Copying os map from sd card to garmin basecamp

Post by dibbs »

Hi All
I have uk os map on an sd card that's in my garmin montana, and I want to somehow copy it from the card to the 'my collection' folder (see pic) on my pc so that I can use it without the gps unit plugged in. Is this possible? and how? It seems that I would be able to drag and drop the map from the sd card into the units 'internal storage' folder (see pic) and the 'my collection' folder while the gps is plugged in, but if I do this will it erase the os map from the card?

Tramp

Re: Copying os map from sd card to garmin basecamp

Post by Tramp »

best of lick mate :whistle: ...the map needs to be unlocked first then inserted into the garmin sub folder called maps in the Garmin file on c drive being the pc hard drive...then unlock the map....used to work real easy on mapsource (thumbs) but basecamp is another story...

I just have a seperate sd card and insert it into the pc sd slot lol..do like simple ways :laugh: ..

maybe someone else knows better...

if you open basecamp then look at the map folder along top of basecamp ..then drop down to "manage map products" it actually shows where the maps are held...hope it helps
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks Russ. Ill try to put the sd card into the pc card slot and give it a try, I'm not sure if the map is locked or just been copied onto the sd card that I have (I suspect the later) I just don't want to inadvertently erase it from the card!!! :(
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

A good tip....any map card thats sd or micro sd I always COPY the card to the pc documents forder..just insert the original card and chose copy and paste...important keep the copy in a file called Garmin..so garmin file with say gmapsupp.....then insert that file into another with name of map ie /; o/s map to do/use the copy just copy and paste the garmin file with gmapsupp ....

garmin map files have different names..do a search and all will be clear as muddy water...

gmap = garmin map
gmapsupp= garmin supplementary map...most are .img [image] but once unlocked by special software :whistle: directly into garmins basecamp they become ...

gmapprom and are disc image files..

:woohoo:

https://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/Maps
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

lol thanks will give it a try!
~ACP~

Post by ~ACP~ »

What Russ said. Make a backup. You can't 'copy' the map into Basecamp.
The best way I found to see the OS Maps without having the GPS unit plugged in is to 'clone' the GPS. Essentially you trick your computer into thinking an SD card is your GPS. I then leave the card in the computer for whenever required.

Follow these instructions:
https://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.co ... 8f2af0e2c4

Hope that helps...
Andy :)

Edit to add: use a spare SD card not the one that's in your Montana as that would kinda defeat the object!
smudger272

Post by smudger272 »

Your just confusing the old lad even more than before.
Bring it round on Saturday and I'll sort it out and while yr around I'll sort the
Pyrenees trip out as well
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Ok cheers!

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”