Camping gear for bikers

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Treadtrader

Camping gear for bikers

Post by Treadtrader »

I'm intending to do some touring next year, i've decided to do more camping, i have a tent, any suggestions on a bed... eg...inflable or roll of foam???
Must be easy to pack on a bike so compact and light, oh it needs to be a double.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Re:Camping gear for bikers

Post by Alun »

I've tried out loads of sleeping mats over the years and it always comes down to a compromise of; weight, pack size, comfort and cost. If you were travelling by car weight and pack size are not an issue but on a bike with restricted space – especially so if there's two of you – there's no getting away from it.

You basically have three choices;
1 Roll up closed cell foam mat; the advantages are cost, weight and durability the main downside is comfort. You can pick these up really cheap at certain times of the year in supermarkets like Tesco and Aldi but the low cost catch is quality, durability and insulation. Some of the cheaper ones are just not worth buying and will tear too easily and squash down so much in use you get very little insulation or comfort.

Let's put it this way – if I was climbing the Eiger or a Himalyan peak where weight, insulation and durability are the absolute requirements then I'd pack a quality roll up foam mat. For every other occasion I would accept the extra weight and pack a...

2 Thermarest style self inflating mat. I use the name 'Thermarest' as this is the brand that has led the way with this style of sleeping mat and the name is almost generic – like Hoover is to Vacuum Cleaners. These mats are a combination of closed cell foam at the base (for insulation) and inflatable open cell above for comfort. The better quality ones are encased in an almost puncture proof robust fabric and capable of surviving a trashing in the rock strewn outback of Morocco or sharp lava beds of the Icelandic interior – I know so, I've done so, many a time.

They are more expensive that foam mats and if they do puncture you'll be insulated from the ground but there is little to no comfort. The self inflating aspect of these mats is a bit of a misnomer as they always need a few puffs of air to fully inflate. They pack down smaller than the foam mats.

Unless I'm on a serious expedition or skint – this is my choice of sleeping mat. Alpkit are a company that offers good value for money kit.

3 The next step up in comfort from a 'Thermarest' style mat is a full on airbed. Once again you get what you pay for here and the more durable ones can be expensive but you'll also get a lower weight and pack size but not as good as with the 'Therarest style'. There's no doubting the extra comfort of an airbed and if I was touring in a car this is what I would pack.

Conclusion – the best combination of price, weight, durability, pack size and comfort for bike touring is a 'Theramarest' style mat. The most comfortable is an airbed and the cheapest a closed cell foam mat.

What would I pack? ...a 'Thermarest' style mat.

On the matter of a 'double' mats I've not come across them but sure someone makes them. There again, I'd always go for two singles.

Check out these reviews

Good background info on the Thermarest site
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Thanks for the info Alun, figured you might know. Time to make a list of needs and cost it out. I won't be camping until next year so no rush.

Next problem... went out on the Trophy yesterday, about 120 miles, got back home and missus complained of discomfort!!!! Gonna have a look at a gel seat or Airhawk.

Allways something to sort.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Post by Alun »

If I can help on camping gear I will, though I still think very much in backpacking terms as opposed to motorbike touring – but there ain't that much difference, it's all about weight, packsize, performance and value.

How did the Trophy make out yesterday? Are you pleased with the performance, how does it compare to the Africa Twin? And the golden rule of two up biking – must make sure she's comfy – you might want to try that guy I found in Wellsbourne I'm sure he could pack a gel pad under the seat cover. You can pick up a gel pad for under £30 and he's not that expensive.

Return to “THE PUB”