Drive chain problem help please

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Manno

Re: Drive chain problem help please

Post by Manno »

Bin it. Get all new chain and sprockets. I had a chain snap once at speed. Horrendous damage and it would have killed any pillion. Be safe.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

What he said. The cost of replacement is negligible really.
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

Given it a hard time this weekend... Your indicators had a harder time :lol:

I have heard a few people moan about the life of the standard chain. I'm not expecting great things from mine. Probably just it's time.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

For EK Chain give me a call on 01275 871789 - I'll get you sorted with a replacement C&S kit at a decent price.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Banzai

Post by Banzai »

AustinW wrote:This happened to my XTR a few months ago. Where the O rings were damaged was also where the links were stiff or frozen. Wthin a few hundred miles the chain was a right mess of frozen links, missing O rings, and tight spots so bad that even backed right off I couldn't get the chain slack enough - the frozen links put loads of little kinks in the chain that took up the slack. Similar mileage to you as well.

New C&S is the only cure.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Had another look at chain, lots of stiff links really annoying as the sprockets are still good. Why do Yamaha fit such poor quality chain? This might explain the extra vibration I was getting on the motorway.
New C&S on it's way from VersysRider thanks mate.
Thanks to everyone else for your help and advise.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

New C&S on it's way from VersysRider thanks mate.
Glad I could be of assistance.

I know it's an odd one but we've had a few instances of it in our workshop (though none on the 660 Tenere) where the back wheel being out of alignment has lead to some seals being pinched/squeezed out of their normal positions as they go round the back sprocket.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Return to “TECHNICAL”