What bike for green lanes?

The Things We Ride
Alun

What bike for green lanes?

Post by Alun »

Having spent a week off road in Morocco on a KTM450, I'm feeling the withdrawal effects of just riding on tarmac and seriously thinking of buying a bike for green lanes. It's been a long time since I've looked at off road bikes and lost touch with what's out there. My criteria is;

I don't want to spend too much cash, so I'm looking second hand.
I'm 6ft 2in and around 17st – will be 15st 7lb in a couple of months!
Must be able to ride it on road, sometimes.

The KTM was fantastic but they go for more than I want to spend

Any suggestions?
Treadtrader

Re:What bike for green lanes?

Post by Treadtrader »

DRZ400 Suzuki, plentiful, bulletproof and does the job well.

Honda XR400, a bit older but real quality off-roader, but, no electric boot!

Yamaha XT600/660, bit more of a handful off-road but great bike.

The best advice i was once given about choice of bike was......

"Light enough to pull out of the undergrowth with one hand"

I've found this to be good advice over the years.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Or as I recently discovered....light enough to lift off your leg (when you crash) with one hand when your leg is bent at an angle that doesn't give you any leverage what so ever.

What I'm trying to describe above is flying into a deep rocky ditch with the bike ending up on top of me and not being able to move.

I think a 600/660 would be too big but I like the sound of the DRZ400 - didn't Wee Jack have one of them?

I took the 955 down a dusty, bumpy green one last night and it's, er, not the best.
Paul T

Post by Paul T »

DRZ400 is heavier than the ktm450's we used in Morocco but is a good all round trail bike with a really smooth engine but relatively bouncy suspension. Probably the best option for a road based trail bike. If you want to go down the enduro bike route then what about a yamaha WR. 250 is easy to use, 450 has a lot of power which can be a handful in tight muddy England but more trail biased then the KTMs.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Cheers Paul. I reckon it's going to be the DRZ, now to find one at the right price.

Speaking of Morocco and KTM's I was down in the KTM UK office last Thursday and had a chance to check out Cyril Despres Dakar bike. Apparently, he can't handle the 450's anything like as fast as we did. His bike also had a very funky blue suede saddle, is he an Elvis fan or does a suede seat have special powers?
Paul T

Post by Paul T »

I just sold a DRZ that was in good nick for £2k + £400 for supermoto wheels and big disc. Shame I didn't know you were interested as might have suited you.

I think the suede seat is supposed to be more breathable and therefore helps prevent sore arses.

Sorry about Saturday - I was watching and keeping my fingers crossed for you. Where you there?
Alun

Post by Alun »

I was there in spirit. Could only get one ticket and choose not to go without my son. So, we dressed up in our Cardiff tops, headed down to the local and....we were whipped by the better team on the day, so no complaints there. I bet the guys who run the Premier breathed a sigh of releif at the final whistle.

The guy at KTM reckons Cyril never sits down, a bit like you mate.
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Thumbs up for the DRZe, love this bike, after riding the GSA the DR is as light as a feather.
Just bought SWMBO a VanVan, and once shes run it in, and her back is turned I'm gonna do the Fosse Way on it!!
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.

Return to “BIKES”