Understanding the new UK motorcycle laws.

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
jellyfinger

Post by jellyfinger »

I have seen a few posts regarding motorcycle licencing laws and I thought I would give a definitive guide. I'll cover the most popular licences as there are a few different loopholes and it's just going to get overly confusing if I try to cover everything!

After 19/01/2013 the "3rd Driving Licence Directive" (3DLD) came into effect.

There is the legalese version here:
https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-mope ... nuary-2013

I'll try to put it into practical examples though.
--------

I'll cover DAS licence first, this has changed the least.

You need to be 24 or over, pass a theory test, complete your CBT and then sit your test on a bike of 595cc or over. You will need to complete the 2 part (Module 1 & Module 2 - also currently under review by DfT and DSA)

You end up with a Full power, no limits, 'ride what you want' licence.

(There are power and weight requirements for the bike you take your test on as well, but I'm deliberately leaving out this info as it will go out of date and is primarily the concern of your training school to supply you with a bike that qualifies for the licence you require.)

--------

The A2 licence

You need to be 19 or over, pass a theory test, complete your CBT and sit your test on a bike of 395cc or over and have a power output of between 25-35kw (33-46.6bhp in old money)

The licence you get entitles you to ride bikes up to 35kw (46.6bhp) with the same full licence entitlements that the DAS gives.

You can restrict bigger bikes down to meet this limit but you can't restrict down from a bike that started with more than double. (70kw / 93.2 bhp)

This power limit remains in force until you retake your test (DAS) at a later date having either gained 2 year experience -or- reached 24 years old.

--------

The A1 licence

For 17-18 year olds, this is the only test available.

This is essentially just a 125cc licence that never upgrades but allows you to dump the L-plates and carry passengers etc. You will need to pass a theory test and complete your CBT before taking your test.

--------

Thankfully the CBT rules were not affected by 3DLD, although I understand this was under review before the severity of the 3DLD changes were fully understood, I believe it is only a matter of time before that review restarts.

For reference purposes - the "old" laws (pre 19/01/2013)

If you passed your test before Jan 2013 then your licence is NOT affective by the 3DLD licence changes.

Example:

DAS - You were over 21, you passed your test on a "big bike" (over 46.6bhp) you got a full unrestricted licence.

-or-

A2 - You 17 or over, you passed your test on a 125cc and you ended up with a licence that limited you to 33bhp for 2 years, but were able to ride any capacity, with a pillion, without L-plates and used motorways. The licence automatically upgraded to a full power licence 2 years after passing your test.
doctorzippy

Post by doctorzippy »

Nice simple guide, Jelly, thanks.

Just one minor point, the DAS licence is actually a full category A licence, both the A2 and A1 licences are sub-categories. This is important as category A is motorcycle for international licence purposes. How hiring a bike abroad will work if you only have an A1 or A2 licence I'm not sure, as outside the EU the sub-category definitions are not recognised, AFAIK.

Note also the rules for trikes (category B1) have also changed, so it's no longer possible to ride a Piaggio MP3 125cc following a CBT, but that's a whole new story!
Life is a journey, not a destination
jellyfinger

Re: Understanding the new UK motorcycle laws.

Post by jellyfinger »

Well spotted, I always call it the DAS course rather than Category A course, so it was habit I'm afraid.
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

doctorzippy wrote:This is important as category A is motorcycle for international licence purposes. How hiring a bike abroad will work if you only have an A1 or A2 licence I'm not sure, as outside the EU the sub-category definitions are not recognised, AFAIK.

Now that's a question worth asking, can someone with a Class A1 or A2 ride outside Europe? And if they can do the restrictions still apply?
Happiness has 125cc ...
steffo

Post by steffo »

hi so being nearly 30 and got a cbt i can do the DAS test and ride any bike i like . thanks .steffo
jimmyshin

Post by jimmyshin »

Steffo - for you it's the same course and tests (and probably cost although I could see that some instructors may charge more for the bigger bikes) regardless, the only difference is the power/size of the bike you take your test on. In your position it would seem daft to do it on anything less than the 600 which would in turn give you a full class A (any bike) license.
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

jimmyshin wrote:Steffo - for you it's the same course and tests (and probably cost although I could see that some instructors may charge more for the bigger bikes) regardless, the only difference is the power/size of the bike you take your test on. In your position it would seem daft to do it on anything less than the 600 which would in turn give you a full class A (any bike) license.

+1 And do it now before it changes again and gets even harder and more expensive.... I was brought up with bikes but never did test. Did so last year at age of 47 (DAS) best part of £800. The cost was one thing but my biggest regret is missing out on all those years of having fun..
Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

There's some flow charts on the DSA website which show how and what's available to riders wanting to get their motorcycle licence.

DSA - Routes To Your Motorcycle Licence

Return to “HOW TO..........”