Tenere 660 power socket mounting..mod.

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Sykesy

Tenere 660 power socket mounting..mod.

Post by Sykesy »

I think this may have been done to death, but its new to me having recently spotted a photo of the 12v socket mounting.

My bike came with a 12v socket mounted on the handlebars>>>>

My mounting had a screw missing, and kept on moving, plus the handlebar was too narrow, so it had gaffa tape wrapped around to thicken and take the mounting. I never was happy with it. So..... i went about mounting the socket as i'd seen in a photo. Its mounted on the plastic panel just inside the indicator.

Heres how i did it for anyone thats not seen it before (like me till 2 days ago)!!

Take off the plastic panel with the indicator on. (i took off the left hand side as sitting on the bike) Just 2 allen key bolts, then unclip the indicator wire connector.

When you have this off, undo the single indicator allen bolt...which also undoes the inner and outter pieces. >>>>>>>

Then, use the socket locking plastic screw on thingy as a template, and score on the inside of this where you want the socket to be mounted, and cut out the hole>>>>>

There already is a hole for the indicator wires to come out of the panel, so use the same hole for the Socket wire>>>

Put the two pieces back together and then put back on the bike! Simples!
Heres a few pics of how it looks now>>>>

Whilst i was at it. I decided to fit a second power socket under the seat. Ive had issues with when it rains, as the sockets are only waterproof when the rubber cap is on and not in use. So thought id fit another one that can run straight to my tank bag and can be left connected when its lashing it down.

I took out the tool pouch and used this space for the socket. Tool pouch is now in my pannier.>>>

and because i usually have my satnav and phone, and the wifes phone on charge whilst reaching the next campsite, i use a triple socket>>>

There ya go. Hope it helps someone!!

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!
Tenere Mart

Re: Tenere 660 power socket mounting..mod.

Post by Tenere Mart »

;) I would be just a little worried if the battery can take all the aux. plug inns usage of power .. but yes great idea on the 3 pluger ..Nice Sykesy :)
MART
Sykesy

Post by Sykesy »

Tenere Mart wrote:;) I would be just a little worried if the battery can take all the aux. plug inns usage of power .. but yes great idea on the 3 pluger ..Nice Sykesy :)

Ive had more plugged in! All low power usage stuff whilst riding, not a problem. Plus the 3 socket plug in, gives you a battery power condition indicator as in red, amber and green lights... so you know what is taking it out the battery.

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Thanks for posting up Sykesy, that looks like a neater and nicer solution than I came up with last w/e so might have a go at that on Monday if time permits :)
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award

Return to “HOW TO..........”