Charge your electronics whilst cooking - utter genius

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
matthewcashmore

Charge your electronics whilst cooking - utter genius

Post by matthewcashmore »

Check this out people

http://www.gizmag.com/powerpot-thermoel ... are/22087/

They're after funding via Kickstarter

I've backed them - I think you should to! Quick video below - but visit the kickstarter page above for the full version.

[video][/video]
matthewcashmore

Re: Charge your electronics whilst cooking - utter genius

I'm going to give this a little bump as I think it's pretty amazing and I'd like to encourage you all to back them.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

What an amazingly clever idea. I'm like you Matt I love things like this. Thanks for sharing. :)
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

if you have more details i would like to understand how it works, how much etc..
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
matthewcashmore

Hi Dubber - all the details, how much it is, and exactly how it works is all on the kickstarter page I've linked to above - it's really very clever.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Hmmm now I wonder what these guys may have to say about something that looks very very similar... http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... html#92059
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
matthewcashmore

ahh yes - exactly the same tech (it's not new) - doing exactly the same thing except not directed at charging batteries but using that power to add oxygen via a fan - great idea - but as others have said on that thread a little big for the bike - the idea above is just a normal cook pot with the same tech integrated to generate 5w or 10w of power through a cable that you can use for whatever you want. It's no larger than a standard cooking pot.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Erm it is directed at charging via a USB port and I think the size, which packs to as a big a a standard Nalgene water bottle, is due to all the extra wiring and ectronics gubbins you appear to have to carry with the pot being built in.

Both good ideas as back up devices but neither something I would like to rely on. I always carry a powerchimp fitted with rechargeables for emergencies.:D

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/pr ... owerchimp/
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
matthewcashmore

Sorry Scouse I missed the fact it had a USB port - should have watched it properly.

I am a massive fan of the power traveller stuff - I wrote about them here

http://thelondonbiker.com/blog/2010/05/powering-on/

and included them in my Lonely Planet book - Tips & Tricks for the Road as a must-have for any traveller.

I've backed the guys above because I think the gear can really work - I'll review it as soon as it arrives - the break through has to be the fact it pushes out 5w & 10w of power - enough to do some real good in the developing world - I hope....
scouse

Post by scouse »

I think I would rather plump for the stove as more beneficial to developing areas. The whole "kelly kettle" design is more thermally efficient so takes up a lot less fuel than using the pot on standard stoves. It's the constant travelling to find water and deforestation for fuel that causes many problems and keeps people in poverty.

If fuel is used more efficiently and the forests grow back , that will create more shade and water sources close by. Less time taken up by kids and women searching for them and gives more time for education and tending to cash/staple food crops. Simples :D ... if only :(

Perhaps using both together could be the solution.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”