Dark nights, why not meet and learn something?

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
mark1150

Dark nights, why not meet and learn something?

Post by mark1150 »

As per the header, as our planet goes the Long Way Around, the nights draw in, and we don our winter animal furs, my thoughts turned to maintenace, and to take it a step further what about a monthly get together to meet and learn something?
I had thought about people new to bikes, from simple tasks like wheel alignment and chain tension and pad changing; to some of the actions you'd need to take if for egsample, you had a puncture, or tappet adjusting.
Further to the same and on an adventure theme, I was thinking about possible informal lectures on topics like foriegn travel,( someone well traveled to pass on stories as an inspiration to the rest of us would be great ).
Then there could be necessary things like loading a bike with all the equipment and parafinalia required to undertake such tasks.
Given that we are adventurous souls and in a club, 'sort of' a talk / demo on things like camping could be useful, and maybe reps from various companies might want to demo their kit, As said just a thought and I don't know if anyone has done it or suggested it before, but to have an excuse to head out after work and meet like minded people and have a coffee, rather than vegitate infront of the box works for me.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Adrian

Re: Dark nights, why not meet and learn something?

Post by Adrian »

What cracking idea Mark.
I suppose the only issue is distance to travel....

Ade
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Adrian wrote:What cracking idea Mark.
I suppose the only issue is distance to travel....

Ade
Hi Ade,
We're supposed to be adventurers, capable of world travel.
I was thinking of somewhere close to the Midlands to make it accessable for a lot of people, that would mean about a 100 miles each way for me but still better than Strictlycomegetmeoutaherefactor!!

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

"We're supposed to be adventurers, capable of world travel."

I've got room for about ten bikes in the studio hot and cold running drinks, for those who want to overnight theres a spare bedroom plus room on the gallery for 10 campbeds
a bit of room outside for tents. only one kahzee though so a number system will have to be enforced.
Any time Nov Jan Feb, any veggies or can I cater for carnavours

excellent idea
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Great idea Mark, or how about in the summer have a get together for the hole of the forum one weekend,
I'm sure Alun could take some photo's and do a write up for the mag?????????????????????????
Paul

Post by Paul »

A fantastic idea Mark, excuse me for getting on the band wagon!
I posted a subject on "biker friendly camping" a few weeks ago. Why do I mention this.
We are opening a campsite next spring, I know it's past the dark nights thing but,

Part of our marketing plan is to aim the site toward adventure bikers.
We are up North in Cumbria with easy access from the A1, A66 and M6, we are located in the market town of Kirkby Stephen, on the doorstep of the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and the North Pennines and scottish borders with, in my opinion anyway, some of the best scenery and riding roads in the country. Kirkby stephen has plenty of pubs and restraunts etc,

We would love to host a weekend for like minded people and families, maybe the first ABR mass meeting.

I'm up for it !!!!!
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Paul wrote:A fantastic idea Mark, excuse me for getting on the band wagon!
I posted a subject on "biker friendly camping" a few weeks ago. Why do I mention this.
We are opening a campsite next spring, I know it's past the dark nights thing but,

Part of our marketing plan is to aim the site toward adventure bikers.
We are up North in Cumbria with easy access from the A1, A66 and M6, we are located in the market town of Kirkby Stephen, on the doorstep of the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and the North Pennines and scottish borders with, in my opinion anyway, some of the best scenery and riding roads in the country. Kirkby stephen has plenty of pubs and restraunts etc,

We would love to host a weekend for like minded people and families, maybe the first ABR mass meeting.

I'm up for it !!!!!
Now heres an idea with a combo of your site and my idea.... a UK Elephant ralley, somewhere around February should be about right, and you can get some pre season practice in, before you open to the public.

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

*** sniggering at my own quote! ***
what a numpty!!! :pinch:

and I just got in from a two hour ride out in the dark / cold :lol:

love it.....
redtyke

Post by redtyke »

hi,Paul,re kirkby.stayed there last year on the coast 2 coast walk.left cars in campsite,plenty of pubs,eateries and the campsite looked good.
mark 1150,it'll be snowplough jobbies in t' norf in February!
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

Good call Paul I would suggest an easter meeting and one at the end of the season

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”