Pre-trip Nerves

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
mark1150

Re: Pre-trip Nerves

Post by mark1150 »

Try to look upon it as a looooong night out, and the liquid refreshment is Petrol not beer:laugh: .
Seriously though it's good to get away, yes you'll all miss each other, but thats a good thing.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Treadtrader, Pebbles - maybe we should start a codgers touring group! At 59 I should just about qualify. Instead of a camping weekend we could use a hotel in Bognor - plenty available out of season. I'm sure we could get a nice cup of tea in one of them! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've just come back from a week in the Alps. I could have gone by bike, by Land Rover Discovery or taken my wife's Mini Copper. Instead I chose my 1969 Lotus Elan - one of the most unreliable cars ever conceived by the mind of man. I took the Elan because it turned what would otherwise be just a long boring drive into a kind of mini-adventure (or should I have gone by Mini for that?).

The whole point of doing stuff like this is that there is a degree of uncertainty. Your subconscious knows this which is why you're feeling apprehensive. When you stop feeling like it then it's time to give it up and look at doing other stuff.

(The Elan broke down with a seized water pump and came back on an AA truck - c'est la vie!)

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

backofbeyond wrote:Treadtrader, Pebbles - maybe we should start a codgers touring group! At 59 I should just about qualify. Instead of a camping weekend we could use a hotel in Bognor - plenty available out of season. I'm sure we could get a nice cup of tea in one of them! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But only the one cup, or i'll be going all day. :laugh: (The Elan broke down with a seized water pump and came back on an AA truck - c'est la vie!)
Is this the original Ford twinky lump?
Many years ago i had a Lotus Cortina, long before they became classic, had to do the water pump, head off, sump off, rebuild the pump into the timing cover, then put it all back together, fun job. :ohmy:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Jim, keep smiling mate, it will be great, Jane sayes that the only thing to fear is fear its self - we didn't encounter anything as scary as our home town centre on a Friday night! I know words are easy to say, but JJ the Irish guy I was telling you about will be well into his 60's and was travelling in Moroc on his own not a care in the world. The other thing aprehension and fear are natural responses and are what keep us on our toes and alive. I'd be more concerned if you weren't worried. Go and enjoy, the new experiences and challenges are what keep us young. Having a family does change things, but we need to set examples and widen the horizons of our off spring by what we show them is possible. If my Dad can do it then so can I (even if this is an unconcious thought). Speak when you get back, I'm up to 10 pages of travelling tales and only 2/3's of the way through the trip. Best Regards Steve and Jane.:)
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think the worst bit is actually riding off down the road. We have a plan for when I am away. Presuming you are going abroad, set your mobile to roaming (take a charger too)
We have a system that every night when you reach your Hotel, campsite or bush behind a motorway sevices in my case, give your good lady a ring. you can tell her about your day and she knows your still alive.
We work on, if I havn't phoned by nine pm, she phones my mobile.
It works for us, now go and have a blast and take loads of piccies.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Oh and I almost forgot, a wise man said to me (a police bike trainer) that the last leg of your journey home is the most dangerous.

You can't wait to see the wife and kids, nearly home, your guard is down, you are on familiar roads, feeling safe and relaxed, probably knackered after a two week trip.

Take it easy and arrive home safe!!

Sorry don't want to be a merchant of doom.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Treadtrader wrote: Is this the original Ford twinky lump?
Many years ago i had a Lotus Cortina, long before they became classic, had to do the water pump, head off, sump off, rebuild the pump into the timing cover, then put it all back together, fun job. :ohmy:
Yes, that's the one. Head off, sump off etc. Just been making a start on it. Got as far as looking and then decided to watch the moto gp instead. I should have it done by Xmas!

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Paul wrote:I think the worst bit is actually riding off down the road. We have a plan for when I am away. Presuming you are going abroad, set your mobile to roaming (take a charger too)
We have a system that every night when you reach your Hotel, campsite or bush behind a motorway sevices in my case, give your good lady a ring. you can tell her about your day and she knows your still alive.
We work on, if I havn't phoned by nine pm, she phones my mobile.
It works for us, now go and have a blast and take loads of piccies.
The same works for us, phone through an Autocom on auto answer ring by 18:00
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

sallysbuns

Post by sallysbuns »

Dearest hubby,
Go and have the best time possible in spain and morocco we will await your phone call everyday when possible, Thomas and I will miss you so much but in spirit we will be with you every km you travel. Just a little reminder Thomas would like a small pot of sand from the saraha and loads and loads of pictures.

GO HAVE FUN, YOU HAVE NO WORK FOR ALMOST THREE WEEKS LUCKY SOD.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

sallysbuns wrote:Dearest hubby,
Go and have the best time possible in spain and morocco we will await your phone call everyday when possible, Thomas and I will miss you so much but in spirit we will be with you every km you travel. Just a little reminder Thomas would like a small pot of sand from the saraha and loads and loads of pictures.

GO HAVE FUN, YOU HAVE NO WORK FOR ALMOST THREE WEEKS LUCKY SOD.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Great post Sally, as you'll have daily contact don't forget to keep us informed.
Give him my best wishes too.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “THE PUB”