Where to go, two weeks with a New rider??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

Fantastic Missus Fox is currently working on getting her bike license.

We have 2 weeks booked off at the end of June and we're looking for inspiration for where to go for a short bike tour. I'm thinking maybe northern spain and the french med, or maybe poland as she has family there, but given the fact that the Euros are going on spain might be a better bet.

We would like to include a few dirt roads (not proper off roading) as we'll be on light weight bikes and It would be good for her to ride some before we set out on the big on next year, and we're thinking of this as a dry run before the big trip next year.

So inspire me,

Good roads??
National Parks??
Nice little towns??
Good hostels/ b&bs??

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
davsato

Re: Where to go, two weeks with a New rider??

Post by davsato »

northern spain and portugal is great, there are also fantastic hill roads on the south coast too but bear in mind its pretty hot in june!
Dave
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

Anywhere in Europe, It is sooooo easy and you are welcome everywhere. You don't need detailed planning, besides which it can put to much pressure on you and spoil the trip if you are constantly worrying about reaching a specific destination. just head off with a rough idea where you want to go. That time of year most places are open for business and you will be surprised at what you find along the way.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

Nth Spain The Picos De Europe, for good climbs,great valley roads and off road routes, Nth Portugal. This will give you everything you desire without hammering smaller bikes all the way down to the Med.
It will also be too damn hot down there in June AND Nth Portugal is great, green and some of the best roads you will find. PLUS its generally cheaper up in't north. :woohoo:

The one night trip across to Santander or Bilbao is the one, and it will save you the snoring run through France. (Don't be tempeted by the 2 nighter, talk about stir crazy :( )

Ride safe, and enjoy.

PS not much Engleez Speekened up north. :unsure:
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

Even on the French side of the Pyrenees you can find some good roads and gentle trails. plenty of cheap places to stay in France maybe a bit more expensive on the Spanish side. Boat to Santander one way and ride back through France.
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
lmg

Post by lmg »

The Picos are superb in the summer - a group of us did it 2 years ago - ferry down to santander and then through the picos, back across the pairofknees to the french/spanish med then up over the millau bridge, up through the central massiff (stopping at Nomads place) and then back across the channel for blighty. We did it in less than 2 weeks so if you did a similar route you could see more (and spend more time in tax-free andorra :) ).

My ride report is here on my blog: Le Grand Tour - Sept 2010 - Ride Report

Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

matthewcashmore

Post by matthewcashmore »

I'd have to suggest Budapest and back over the Alps. Easily done in two weeks, I did it in 8 days area a leisurely pace but two weeks would have been much nicer.

Budapest is stunning and the run out through southern Germany and Austria is just superb. Coming back out over the Alps is some of the best riding I've had in Europe.

You can find a simple Itinerary here

http://thelondonbiker.com/blog/budapest/

Although its playing up and not posting all my stuff from Budapest you get the idea!

Matthew
Selous

Post by Selous »

Mate you didnt say either by bike or plane then hire.

Asking as if your going for a nice steady ride from UK, Id say S France as a nice steady pace remembering, it takes a lot out of a new rider, concentration wise.

you can go over the milau viaduct http://www.leviaducdemillau.com/en_index.php#/accueil/
or under throug hthe Tam gorge (got that info from the peeps on here) then on to Spain if your making good time.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I agree that anywhere in Europe is good. We've had good times in Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg as well as the whole length of the Alps and Pyrenees. However, unless you take your time and enjoy the ride the trip across to Austria, Slovenia, Italy etc can be a bit of a trial. From that point of view the ferry to Santander or Bilbao is great. The newer ferries are pretty comfortable for a single overnight crossing. Then you're there in a state where you are hungry to ride rather than spend a couple of days off the bike! From there I would suggest the Picos de Europa where there are some simply stunning roads. We first went there about 12 years ago, also went last summer, going again this year.
Some videos from last summer...

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Great news about Mrs Fox obtaining her licence.
From your plans, I assume she's an experienced bike companion but has she done any distance riding on L plates?
Being pillion and solo riding is very different & as someone else has mentioned, the amount of concentration (esp on the opposite carriageway) can be daunting at first.

The object of the game would be to have lots of fun & not put her off by over-planning...
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way

Return to “TRAVEL”