Compulsory ABS for all bikes in Europe

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
scouse

Compulsory ABS for all bikes in Europe

Post by scouse »

The European commission on Motorcycle safety has insisted as part of it's anti-tampering legislation it is insisting that all motorcycles be fitted with ABS and the ability to switch it off will be illegal.

Will get some more info on this , but ebven though they have aceeded that it can be a danger on un-paved roads... there are not enough motorcyclists (approx 2% of all riders in Europe live in in areas with unpaved roads as the normal type of road) affected!

Types of motorcycle and their usage will not be considered either!

Now more than ever you need to be a member of a Riders Rights' group to get the info to help fight this. Also in previous campaigns it has become clear that it is always the groups representing the biggest number of signed up members that get listened to first... numbers of potential votes lost still count a lot in Europe!

I will get more info when I get home.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Treadtrader

Re: Compulsory ABS for all bikes in Europe

Post by Treadtrader »

Read about this before, be nice to know who they consult for info before they open their european gobs. :angry:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
irishtiger

Post by irishtiger »

Been reading about this on the Right to Ride web site:http://www.righttoride.co.uk/
Some interesting reading.
Feel free to join up and support them or any of the rider rights groups.:)

Ride Safe
George
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
scouse

Post by scouse »

The Press Release from MAG UK

2-10-2010 European Commission rejects switch-off option for motorcycle ABS

News from the Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations (FEMA)

"In yesterday’s meeting (21/10/2010) with Member States, the European Commission formally presented the proposal for new type approval rules for motorcycles. Besides introducing mandatory anti-lock braking systems for motorcycles above 125cc, the Commission rejected the introduction of an off-switch for ABS.

On October 4th, 2010 the European Commission released a proposal for new type approval rules for motorcycles. Following the suggestions of FEMA, the Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations, the Commission proposes to abolish the 100hp (74KW) limit in place in France, as well as the introduction of strong durability requirements for tailpipe emissions. But the proposal also includes harsh restrictions on riders’ freedom, like mandatory ABS and additional requirements for engine modifications.

With regard to road safety, though very supportive of technological improvements such as ABS, FEMA reminded the Commission that vehicle aspects represent less than 2% of motorcycle accident causation factors and objected to the Commission’s mandatory approach, which is limiting consumer choice. Instead, FEMA called for mandatory switch-off buttons for bikes equipped with ABS, since ABS is not suitable for certain riding conditions, especially with regard to riding on unpaved roads.

The Commission acknowledges that fact but considers the number of citizens living in areas with a high percentage of unpaved roads as negligible compared to the broader riding population. Indeed, the Commission fears that too many riders would switch off the ABS also when riding on common roads, due to “unjustified lack of faith in new technologies”.

In addition to the limitation of consumer choice and increased costs for purchasing a motorcycle, FEMA is also concerned about the proposal not taking into account increased maintenance costs for ABS, and making no reference regarding durability and liability."

MAG says: ‘No’ to mandatory fitment on any class of bike. ABS must remain an option at the point of purchase and the rider must be able to turn the system off. MAG defends the principle of informed consumer choice. Over-reliance on technological fixes can diminish basic riding skills.

Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
herman

Post by herman »

I had a lovely oh my god I'm gonna die moment thanks to me not turning the abs off on a BMW800GS. The proposed legislation would effectivly make any bike with off road pretentions useless ,can you imagine trying a brake slide turn with abs? However,as with most laws such as this the use of an aftermarket switch whilst illegal would in most cases be adopted.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
scouse

Post by scouse »

If they carry this through, ANY modifications found will mean the bike fails it's TWICE yearly MOT and can be seized on the spot if found via a roadside check. That is another thing in the legislation... ad-hoc road side inspection teams popping up.

CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

It will never happen! They may be able to bring it in for new bikes produced after a certain date but they would never be able to force owners of old bikes to have abs, or remove aftermarket accessories.
If they could do that then they would have forced all cars to have seatbelts, and ABS for that matter.
If they were to do that then the government would have to subsidise it and that would cost them a fortune.
As I said it will never happen.

We should try lobbying to leave the European union, that would solve many of our problems.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Like any legislation.. parts can be retrofitted to existing vehicles but it is likely that the ABS will be from a certain date... but they already want to make sure any bike with EFI will all have the ECU that they left the factory with... now me..hmmm.. non std ECU chip, non std exhaust, non std headlights , non std fairing, non oem crashbars... :D

CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Then all it will affect is new bike sales and an already struggling economy. :whistle:

Surely this all applies to cars as well? If not then that is discrimination.

Like I said lets lobby to leave the European union altogether.

Post by Guest »

Yet another dictat from the 'democratic' (Ha Ha) commumist EUSSR,i would go further than Craigevo who suggested a vote to ask us if we want to leave europe,i want to see it abolished altogether,Its run on the communist model,where we have no say or opportunity to remove the elite that make all the decisions that affect our lives,its corrupt to the core,they are certainly not working on our behalf,their aim is to get bikes off the roads via slow creeping legislation that very few of us will notice or care about,by the time we wake up to whats going on it will be too late,no point in voting for any mainstream party in the 'Charade' thats known by its other name (European elections)every four years,as all the media and mainstream candidates are all part of the gravy train,so very difficult to make a stand which is the intention of course,incidently,im a big fan of the other european nations which i want to see as sovereign states with their own laws,currency,and unique way of life,the grand plan being to create a superstate,where there will be no nations,only 'regions'of europe,80% of our legislation comes via 'Directives',i hope enough of us will wake up to whats going on before motorcycling (amongst other issues) is abolished

Return to “THE PUB”