International Bike Exchange - would it work?

Bikers and riding
Alun

International Bike Exchange - would it work?

Post by Alun »

I had a press release this morning through the Adventure Travel website from a company that's setting up a campervan share website. That is, people register their vans on the site and then let other members in different countries borrow them for free - it's like the time share swop arrangement but with campervans.

Would that work with motorcycles where we all register our bikes on a site and then exchange weeks with other members. For example if there was a Namibian member who thought I was a reasonable sort of chap he would lend me his bike for a couple of weeks. I would then reciprocate for anyone visiting the UK.

Any views on the above – I suppose we could set up such a scheme on this website
Wee Jack

Re:International Bike Exchange - would it work?

Post by Wee Jack »

I've heard about this sort of thing - some people even swap their own homes for vacations .

I'm not so sure that I would sign-up for a free for all , there would need to be some solid securities with such a scheme , but I'm perfectly happy to give my bike to people I know and know to be solid individuals, who would not abuse the spirit of the scheme.

The insurance implications would be interesting methinks !!!
It matters not what you have or where you take it ........... Every ride is an adventure and every motorbike was built for adventure.
Alun

Re:International Bike Exchange - would it work?

Post by Alun »

This is a bit long but here's the blurb from their website on how they see it running. Basically it's all about respect and bomb proof insurance. Good idea though, and whatever next - maybe they'll start throwing the wife in with the campers!
Do you have to swap at the same time?

No you may arrange between yourselves when it is convenient for both of you. Remember this is not your main residence. This flexibility is what makes Camperswap so much more achievable than a home exchange.
What about insurance, and liability?

This is clearly important, you should check with your insurance companies as to what level of insurance you feel you need and you should confirm in writing between each other what agreements between yourselves have been made. The very minimum is placing each other as permitted drivers and ensuring breakdown cover and for most cases this would be adequate. Further cover should be considered between yourselves if you feel it is necessary.
Can I trust a stranger?

When you first contact the other members granted they will be strangers but after making arrangements with them seeing a few photos, emails and phone a few times, seeing the condition of there vehicle and knowing they are used to driving a similar vehicle to yourselves you should of made some connection remember good communication negates misplaced expectations.
Can I swap within my country?

Yes
How long is a typical swap?

This usually depends on the distance travelled and is up to you as members to decide there is no time limit on fun!
What is your privacy policy?

Camperswap.com does not reveal your email address, home address, or telephone number on your listing. At no time will your personal information be shared, sold or redistributed in any way.
May I swap more than once a year?

Yes you may swap as many times as you like.
This all sounds good but I’m not sure about a stranger using my RV

We would not be happy or allow a stranger and his family to come along and take our beloved camper off on holiday for two weeks in the hope that they return it as they received it, on a promise that they will let us do the same in six months time. Never!
So consider this....

Your listing attracts another member, it is not the first member to contact you, but it is the first “possible”. Mike is an engineer his wife Carol a teacher are a little older than you. They have owned their camper for eight years. From the photos their camper looks well maintained and cared for. Clearly they have experience of driving a similar vehicle to mine and they seem to have the same sort of values and aspirations as us. Mike has a clean driving licence. They live in a place we would really like to visit, my first preference, even the exchange rate is good at the moment.

They have a six-week period where they would like two weeks holiday during summer. There camper is available at any time in the summer to ourselves.

So I email back … Soon were exchanging emails and they tell us about some of their favourite places campsites, beaches, lakes, mountains, cities and towns. We tell them about our beaches, castles, cathedrals, museums campsites and cites. In no time at all we are all looking forward to our holidays.

Once we arranged what would happen, should the worst happen? In our agreement we agreed that our insurance cover was suitable and we put each other on our own policies we arranged breakdown cover with the address of the garage it should to towed too. We and both arranged a five star cover for those two weeks, which included a hotel. Should the worst happen and a breakdown occurs once we had total piece of mind the whole thing became a very enjoyable experience as our planning was finalised. We agreed dates, times, places. Both made copies signed them and sent them to each other.
We arrange to pick each other up from the airport and had a great time. We will go back!

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”