Group Ride Out Behaviour Guide.

James691

Post by James691 »

[center]Group Ride Out Guide.[/center]

Introduction.

One of the main reasons that ABR Rallies are such a great success story is the fact that we love few things more than riding our bikes! Holding rally ride outs is something that many of us look forward to and to that end I have put together some options for ride leaders.

We must take into account that we all have our own comfort zones and ability level when riding a bike, some may never have ridden in a group before. Leading a group will have unique challenges that I hope to help address.

Plan Your Ride.

If you have a plan then you have a briefing, this is not storming an Embassy and so just a short chat to your riders to let them know where you will be taking them and about the 2nd Man Drop Off System.

As the Ride Leader I would advise the following.

[ul]
[li]Print off a route map to show riders.
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[li]Have a first aid kit.
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[li]Have a mobile phone and the number of your Tail End Charlie.[/li]
[/ul]
The 2nd Man Drop Off System.

Ride Leader - At the front of the ride you have, as you would expect, the Ride Leader. The Ride Leader will have the route of the ride out and the contact number of the Tail End Charlie.

Tail End Charlie – Bringing up the rear of the ride is the Tail End Charlie. The TEC should also know the route in case the 2MDO system is broken by a rider. I would advice a reflective yellow bib to help identify yourself to the 2nd Man as well as a double flash of your head lights.

The job of the TEC is to look out for anyone dropping behind or break-downs, also to ensure that no one gets left behind. The TEC is also the look out for any accidents that may happen on the ride out and liaise with Emergency Services.

Riders - Between the RL and the TEC are the riders, various abilities, confidence and experience levels will be in the mix.

The System needs ALL riders to do their part to work.

The Ride Leader rides off at a pace that allows the rider in position 2 to keep up without having to rush or break the speed limit of the road – being in a ride out gives you no legal exemption to the Road Traffic Act or any other law, this of course includes traffic management for the sake of keeping a group together and would constitute Obstruction of a Public Highway. This means stopping traffic etc in order to 'help' the group ride on. -

The rest of the group can stagger at whatever legal speed they feel comfortable with. You can be spread out a good distance and even out of sight of other riders as you will not get lost if the system is followed.

When the Ride Leader comes to a junction, the Rider in position 2 stops by that junction and indicates the direction the Lead Rider has gone.

Rider 2 MUST stay at the junction until flashed by the TEC (Tail End Charlie) and it is the responsibility of each Rider to be able to identify the TEC.

The Ride Leader must slow until he/she has a new position 2 Rider before he/she takes another junction turn.

When the TEC does arrive at the junction the stopped Rider will be flashed and able to move off to join the group, leaving the TEC at the rear of the ride.

At the next junction the new Position 2 Rider drops off and is then waiting to be at the rear of the ride when the TEC comes along and flashes.

The Golden Rules of the Ride.
• ALWAYS drop off if you are Position 2 Rider.

• ONLY go as fast as you feel is comfortable and ALWAYS within the legal speed limits.

• NEVER bug ( ride up the arse end) the rider in front of you.

• NEVER overtake a Rider with them giving specific signals to do so.

• NEVER panic and try to catch up.

• REMEMBER you will be representing ABR out on the public road.

• NEVER leave the junction until the TEC has arrived.

Safe Riding.

One of the biggest causes of accidents according to RoSPA is from Riders playing ‘follow the leader’ – this is trying to constantly keep up with the rider in front and not leaving enough gap.

Shunts
These are usually down to riding too close to the vehicle in front, or the vehicle behind you being too close.”

There is no need to do this – The Ride Leader will be looking for Position 2 Rider and slow down if required, riding to Position 2 Riders speed comfort zone.

If you cannot see a bike in front or a bike behind DO NOT PANIC, slow down, rather than speed up and let the TEC catch you.

This system will keep rotating Riders around, so everyone gets a chance to ride to the speed limits.

Motorway and Dual Carriageway Cavalcade Riding.

Here it does become important to keep the Rider in front in sight as stopping on a motorway hard shoulder to let people catch up or to indicate a turn off is illegal.

The RL should ride approx 10 mph slower than the National Speed Limit in my opinion to allow the group to adjust.

Riding in a staggered formation allows the group to keep closer while still remaining safe, so if the bike ahead of you is to the right, then you would position your bike on the left and so on down the group.

Using this system and combined with the no overtaking rule, you can ride to the bike behind and not only stay in touch but also make your group more visible and therefore safer for all out on the road.

Most Importantly.

Have fun and live to ride another day.

James691
Dancing in the moonlight
Tramp

Re: Group Ride Out Behaviour Guide.

Post by Tramp »

My head hurts just taking that all in..let alone the process of writing it.

top job. And in plain english too...sure it'll be appreciated by those new to large groups when riding.
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

Great write up

The issue with group rides is some people feel the need to keep up and or should I say show off.
I know I have done this and it nearly cost me not only my life but the wifes too.
(sportbike days)

Also a good friend of mine was air lifted from Bala in wales as he did the same thing,went to fast around a sharp bend trying to beat everyone to Bala lake and ended up in a farmers field, he no longer rides and walks with a limp ( smashed hip etc ) :(

So I agree with what you are saying, ride your own style and simply enjoy the it.

Dam i must be growing up :lol:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Nice one James.

Can I just add in one more point.
I have had the pleasure of leading or tail end charlie-ing many ride outs over the years and have had to stipulate this point more than once.

We are not allowed to stop or direct traffic to facilitate the groups passage through junctions etc.

I have seen a few car drivers get irrate at this but more soberly witnessed confused drivers who have nearly collided with the group or another road user.

Just my observation, I can say that since doing several ride outs for ABR groups that this has never happened. Long may it continue.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

good point Pj..

and at all times follow the highway code....safe but fun is the name of the game.

And when the "ride out leader" gets lost and passes the TEC :whistle: ..just wave :lol: :lol:
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Fixed for yer. ;)

Peejay wrote:
I have had the pleasure of leading an ABR group and losing half of them at the 1st round a bout
:whistle:

:lol:
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Jelly wrote:Fixed for yer. ;)

Peejay wrote:
I have had the pleasure of leading an ABR group and losing half of them at the 1st round a bout
:whistle:

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Not wishing to be thick but how do you normally tackle traffic lights where the group could be split into 2 or even 3 in some built up areas?
the reason I ask is that I fear the answer isn't as obvious as it sounds.
Quite often there may be no where for the leader to pull over at the other side.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

mark1150 wrote:Not wishing to be thick but how do you normally tackle traffic lights where the group could be split into 2 or even 3 in some built up areas?
the reason I ask is that I fear the answer isn't as obvious as it sounds.
Quite often there may be no where for the leader to pull over at the other side.
It doesn't matter. The system means the group can be spread out over many miles and as long as everyone keeps to the rules everyone will go the right way. The only limit is the number of riders as eventually the ride leader will not have a number 2 to drop off.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Busy traffic islands cause problems, some have five or six exits.

I've led and been part of rides that have stumbled at these.

Not always easy for the second man to stop.

What thoughts on those.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”