RTW - Self Supported or Group Tour?

Bikers and riding
Alun

RTW - Self Supported or Group Tour?

Post by Alun »

I've just posted up a news item where Kudu Expeditions are claiming a worlds first – the first commercially guided RTW trip.

So the big question is – would you go on an organised RTW trip or would you prefer to go your own way.

Personally speaking, it depends. For something like a RTW then no question, I'd want to do it under my own steam. I'd probably consider a tour if I wanted just to travel to a single county and make the most of my time there. i.e. flying out to Namibia and using the services of a company that supplies the bikes and guides.
Scrambler

Re:RTW - Self Supported or Group Tour?

Post by Scrambler »

Have to say that under your steam would be the preferred way to go as it gives much more flexibility on the trip.
Only way I think I would consider a guided trip is if I was very restricted for time but then I would properly end up doing a shorter trip under own steam anyway B)

I can see the advantages in flying out and everything is ready for you and all you have to worry about is paying the bill and have fun :laugh:
Alun

Post by Alun »

Hi Scrambler, shame about having to pay bills the other side,eh.

Not to throw this thread off track – do you think this would work?
Scrambler

Post by Scrambler »

I quite like the idea about camper/house (reminds me of the couch surfing) swapping and it seams it would make biking abroad more accessible when you don’t have to worry about shipping your own bike to some remote part of the world.

Then there’s the challenge about the insurance as Jack mentions, but I’m sure if it can be done for campervans, it can be done for bikes.

Just a matter of how much you would have to pay before it would be more beneficial renting/buying/shipping your own bike.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”