satnav is dead

The essential art of farkling.
desertraider

satnav is dead

Post by desertraider »

well after many years of loyal service my tomtom 500 has popped its cloggs , it was a car one but used it on the bike , so this time around iam going to buy a motorcycle satnav , and after looking round the net theirs not really the many , the 2 main ones are the garmin zumo 550 or the tomtom rider pro , the prices go up and down on these units depending where you look , so who has the tom tom and who has the garmin ? anybody had both and can tell the pros & cons as the are a good chunk of money to lay out , cheers DR
special one

Re: satnav is dead

Post by special one »

What's actually wrong with the old one?

You can get spares to probably fix it cheap.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

This car specific and bike specific thing is something that I've never got.
Surely the car one is as waterproof as a bike one, given that they are required to operate under the same conditions, eg open top car etc.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

mark1150 wrote:This car specific and bike specific thing is something that I've never got.
Surely the car one is as waterproof as a bike one, given that they are required to operate under the same conditions, eg open top car etc.
I've used my car sat nav (Navman icn 520) on my bike and it got quite wet once in a massive prolonged downpour and it didn't hurt it at all.

They are as cheap as chips too, heres one example.

[ebay]130627968002[/ebay]

Ok they're not in production anymore and you can't (as far as I know) update them but as they usually add roads and don't take them away you'd have to be pretty stupid to let it get you lost.

Here's mine mounted on the Vara.

"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

Just a though but if you have a smart phone why not install a satnav application, one that has all the info on the phone so you dont get charged while abroad.

My satnav is still working, but where possible i do like a backup and i have been looking at this software for (£40 for europe), but there are alternatives aps

http://www.copilotlive.com/uk/personal/

Your would need a waterproof powered phone mount so you can use it all day.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The bike specific Satnavs I've looked at have all been waaay too expensive for me, so I use a car satnav in an Aquabox. I use my Garmin Nuvi 550 on the bike, in the car and in the truck.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

numptyspence wrote:Just a though but if you have a smart phone why not install a satnav application, one that has all the info on the phone so you dont get charged while abroad.

My satnav is still working, but where possible i do like a backup and i have been looking at this software for (£40 for europe), but there are alternatives aps

http://www.copilotlive.com/uk/personal/

Your would need a waterproof powered phone mount so you can use it all day.
I'd rather have a cheap old sat nav mounted on my bars and keep my phone safely in my pocket.

I use the sat nav app on the phone in my car though.

desertraider

Post by desertraider »

special one wrote:What's actually wrong with the old one?

You can get spares to probably fix it cheap.
Well how can i put this eem i had it in a givi sat nav bag and as i took it off i dropped it , tryed to stop it with my leg/foot and booted across the garage floor at this my mad german shep thought ooh a game and grabbed it i yelled he let go , no probs , still ok , then i left it on the floor in the living room charging, and through the night , charlie the mad hound seen it and said to him self ooh look theirs that toy dad kick at me so i will just play with it now , hence the need for a new one, theirs one thing i will say is that he shouldnt get lost again the mount of satnav hes eaten lol oh the sd card with all the maps is still ok
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

desertraider wrote:theirs one thing i will say is that he shouldnt get lost again the mount of satnav hes eaten lol
:laugh: Satnav dog :laugh:

Is it a pointer? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sit him on the tank, 1 bark for left, 2 for barks for right. :woohoo:

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”