Kielder Forest Drive

Where you've been and what you done
Curzon

Kielder Forest Drive

Post by Curzon »

Had a quick tour round Northumberland and the Scottish borders over the bank holiday weekend on the Varadero.

Took to the Kielder Forest Drive to try the mighty Vara offroad.

For those that don't know this area its worth a go. The Kielder Forest Drive is 12 miles of single track forestry track, open to public traffic on payment of a £3 toll. The surface varies from hard pack forest track, to gravel of varying degrees of size, depth and loosness. Easily manageable on the Varadero on Anakee tyres, so should be OK on most similar bikes, just take care on the loose stuff.

The best bit though, is the metalled road from Bellingham to Kielder Castle, along the edge of Kielder Water. A simply stunning road, with spectacular scenery and not many cars around, even on a Bank Holiday Sunday.

Highly reccomended!
Alun

Re:Kielder Forest Drive

Post by Alun »

That's one of the areas of the UK I've never visited. Always fancied riding the road to Lindisfarne just as the tide is lapping over to get one of those skimming on water shots.
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

I called into Lindesfarne on the Saturday. I too had longed to go there for as long as I can remember, but when I actually got there it was actually a bit of an anti climax, and slightly disapointing. I had a similar experience with Mont St Michel in France, better viewed from a distance, than actually close up. Although the view over to Bamburgh Castle from Lindesfarne was impressive.

For me the best bits of the area, are within and around the National Park area including Kielder Forest, right up to and over the border into Scotland.

Another gem of a road, is the old Roman Military road, running parralel to Hadrians wall. Fantactic panoramic views of the area and the frequent glimpses of the wall itself and other Roman forts etc.

I'll try and get around to writing up a proper ride report if I get the time.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Alun wrote:
That's one of the areas of the UK I've never visited. Always fancied riding the road to Lindisfarne just as the tide is lapping over to get one of those skimming on water shots.
mmm dont try and dodge the tide ... not exactly skimming here but this is the road :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/U

hadrians wall road has two signs once brewed and twice brewed
becareful your fron t wheel doesnt leave the ground if your on a mission .. which was honestly the reason for backtracing to take this pic grrrr :woohoo:
[URL=http://img807.imageshack.us/i/twicw.jpg/]Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.

By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/minkyhead]minkyhead
at 2010-09-07
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”