Wales roads

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Wales roads

Post by garyboy »

Crossrutted wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:46 am
garyboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 am I meant (sarcastically).. we won't get Any.

The UK Tory government has been underfunding (polically) Welsh Labour Wales for years. I think last year it was by 175 million, but overall by billions. When UK Labour get in, even in coalition , they won't be able to fund Wales, or other regions, as they need to be, after 14 years of Tory Austerity. Until big Business is controlled in a fair manner, there's not going to be any significant funding and improvement to our roads and infrastructure.
Since some Welsh politicians believe an independent Wales is a financial possibility, why do you need the English to keep subsidising you?

We've got the Scots to pay for (apparently they could be independant too), we can't afford both of you! :roll: :lol:
You should know that it's not the English, but the UK government that takes in the taxes for all the 4 regions of the UK. Using the faulty Barnet Formula, it is distributed to the 4 regions. This includes England itself, though I'm not sure if the B Formula applies to England.. probably only NI, Wales, and Scotland. NI has been given Billions to keep them supporting the Tories. Wales does not, so are punished by lower portions, from the central treas, which actually we pay into the treasury just like all 4 regions.

You should read more.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

garyboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:58 am
garyboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 am I meant (sarcastically).. we won't get Any.

The UK Tory government has been underfunding (polically) Welsh Labour Wales for years. I think last year it was by 175 million, but overall by billions. When UK Labour get in, even in coalition , they won't be able to fund Wales, or other regions, as they need to be, after 14 years of Tory Austerity. Until big Business is controlled in a fair manner, there's not going to be any significant funding and improvement to our roads and infrastructure.
Since some Welsh politicians believe an independent Wales is a financial possibility, why do you need the English to keep subsidising you?

We've got the Scots to pay for (apparently they could be independant too), we can't afford both of you! :roll: :lol:
You should know that it's not the English, but the UK government that takes in the taxes for all the 4 regions of the UK. Using the faulty Barnet Formula, it is distributed to the 4 regions. This includes England itself, though I'm not sure if the B Formula applies to England.. probably only NI, Wales, and Scotland. NI has been given Billions to keep them supporting the Tories. Wales does not, so are punished by lower portions, from the central treas, which actually we pay into the treasury just like all 4 regions.

You should read more.
You are paying the price for electing a religious extremist as your first Minister... :lol: Anyway he's gone now, so you can put the speed limits back to sane levels.

(To keep you happy, be aware that England's roads are poorly maintained too.))

Btw, I'm happy to redistribute wealth to maintain the Union, as I think we're better together rather than four small, separate and insignificant countries.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

He is certainly an extremist, but fortunately or unfortunately, we are told the 20mph speed limit is basically, to stay, though thete is a 'review ' promised
20 is good for pedestrians and the elderly and children, but not for motorists. It's a nightmare on the bike, tbh, and a lot of it is unnecessary.

Myself and all welshies are not happy about England's potholes, as, I love riding the beautiful rolling English countryside.

Many want to keep the Union.
. Its a shame that sometimes we cannot seem to get along.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Born and Bred In Wales, but I completely agree.
Its largely the eisteddfod going self proclaimed intelligentsia that keep bleeting on about that Independence nonsense, they don't have a jar of glue
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Spike941 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am I remember the good old Pre Brexit (PB) days, when the EU paid for those fabulous roads in NW Scotland. Did they not do the same for Wales back in the day?
Genuine question.
Yes they did, but the whole amount paid into v amount got back from the EU is complicated, I honestly don't know how the books worked out on that and I reckon nobody else does either
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Asgard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 pm

Born and Bred In Wales, but I completely agree.
Its largely the eisteddfod going self proclaimed intelligentsia that keep bleeting on about that Independence nonsense, they don't have a jar of glue
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I was hoping that towards the end of my life, Wales would eventually gain its independence from England.

Wales became a kind of vassal state, when it was defeated by England in battle, a few hundred years ago. Since then, as with all England's conquests, it has been raped and plundered mercilessly, of resources, and ,by consent, of many of its population. Sometimes, residents were forced out, for gain. Sometimes, like the Scottish etc, the separate nations joined the English armies, as throughout history. I myself moved to Swindon for work, before returning.

The funny thing is, most people in Wales today, are of English descent. if only partly, and most can't even speak Welsh.

But, almost by force, we come to say, in unity .... Yma o Hyd.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

There is plenty of opportunity for those who denigrate Wales, to move out to better fields.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

.. and for those who have already moved out, the opportunity is there to stop belittling the hard working oppressed people of Wales.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Ride it .. don't rubbish it.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

garyboy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:33 am Ride it .. don't rubbish it.
...but only on the roads remember as we aren't allowed trails as all the land in Wales is privately owned even most of the national parks which are largely in the hands of rich old family's and Farmers
Much of the oppression in Wales is home grown, not really any need to blame other nations

Actually managed a ride yesterday with only a brief shower whilst out but I probably need a few more days like that to stop me coming here to whinge and write crap :lol:

Today of course it's back to pissing down

Return to “THE PUB”