Warning light issue and recovery/warranty bigger issue.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DavidS

Warning light issue and recovery/warranty bigger issue.

Post by DavidS »

500 miles in and, after about 10 miles on Wednesday (on a freshly charged battery after the cold weather) I had a yellow warning triangle flash up plus the ‘Refuel’ warning. I assumed the two are related.
I trolled the couple of miles to the garage and filled up but noticed the triangle had gone out but the orange EML light had come on. I rode back home to consult the handbook - which said stop the bike safely and contact the nearest dealer. :rolleyes: There was nothing in how the bike rode or ran that seemed wrong.

As most will know, my nearest dealer is currently 90+ miles away in Berkshire following the bankruptcy of Freestyles half an hour away. I rang them and they were very helpful and appreciated my predicament and said I could use the free recovery that comes with the bike (never knew it had it) but to try 5 or 6 engine cycles as that might clear the warning until I can get the bike up there for its 600 service in a few weeks when it’s warmer for my ancient bones. Until they get the bike, they can’t scan the ECU to see if there are any error codes.

I tried the start/stop cycling and disconnecting the battery but nothing happened.

Neither KTM recovery (through the AA 🙄) or Britannia Rescue can help and they wouldn’t take it to Bracknell anyway.
I have now realised the the Tractional Control and ABS warning lights are on.
CSS - now Bike Sport Global - say they have no power over the recovery company and I really don’t want to risk riding the bike that far with three amber warnings showing.

Any thoughts or comments?
I’m going to email BSG anyway but it looks like I’ll have to hire a van and drag up there but it also needs an extra 50 miles on it for them to do the first service.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Snaf MKII

Re: Warning light issue and recovery/warranty bigger issue.

Post by Snaf MKII »

What does "KTM Mobility/recovery" actually do then, the website says repair or recover.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I thought modern bikes can display error codes on the dash screen? It's knowing how to see them, perhaps.. like 3 flashing bars, or whatever. You can then perhaps Google them?

Sounds to me, being illiterate in modern technology , that there is simply a slight problem in the sensors or wiring. .. like abs could just be water or ice in or on the wheel sensor. Etc. Though it could be the ecu, or whatever they call it these days. Probably just needs tweeking somewhere.

What bike is it BTW? Best to get it to the dealer, of course, but personally I wouldn't worry too much about distance. But then, I got a cheap Honda, lol.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Snaf MKII wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:16 pm What does "KTM Mobility/recovery" actually do then, the website says repair or recover.
Precisely.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:29 pm I thought modern bikes can display error codes on the dash screen? It's knowing how to see them, perhaps.. like 3 flashing bars, or whatever. You can then perhaps Google them?

Sounds to me, being illiterate in modern technology , that there is simply a slight problem in the sensors or wiring. .. like abs could just be water or ice in or on the wheel sensor. Etc. Though it could be the ecu, or whatever they call it these days. Probably just needs tweeking somewhere.

What bike is it BTW? Best to get it to the dealer, of course, but personally I wouldn't worry too much about distance. But then, I got a cheap Honda, lol.
My Norden.
Nothing I can see about reading errors and I’m not sure if my Audi OBD would get access. I can’t even find the connector!
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

If its only traction control and ABS warning but riding ok then I would ride it. However, best consult the interweb for expert opinions. My 2007 Yam WR250R allows you to access the fault codes from the dash, then I check against the crib sheet I carry, and then I can clear them (but they could come back but at least you know what the fault is)--not bad for a trail bike--no computer needed--Yamaha had thought about it!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I have emailed the dealer with all the details. If they say I can ride it then at least I have it back in writing so am covered.
But will they…..?
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Just Google where the port is and plug the reader in! Once you know what it is you can decide whether to ride it or not.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I'd ride it David. To use an OBD reader you need an adapter cable. I have one which fits both my 701 and 901. I've used it on my 701 but not the Norden. I think I bought it from TuneECU.
EDIT pretty sure it was this one...
https://www.lonelec.com/product/euro5-o ... d2-reader/
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Oh gawd...the Suzuki DL800 is looking better by the day.

Surely KTM recovery are obliged to recover it to the nearest franchised dealer...if not tell the dealer he can send his own van out or you'll reject the bike and take him to court.

Return to “TECHNICAL”