Flip up helmet or open face with flip up visor?

Does my ass look big in these?
Spike941

Re: Flip up helmet or open face with flip up visor?

Post by Spike941 »

Just replaced my Shoei Multitec after 10 faultless years with the Shoei Neotec 2. Yes they’re expensive, but very comfortable. Can’t fault them.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

When riding mixed roads and trails I use a Shark Evoline. Flip over so the guard is out of the way. Sun visor, guard when you need it. Works for me.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Paul_C wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:02 pm When riding mixed roads and trails I use a Shark Evoline. Flip over so the guard is out of the way. Sun visor, guard when you need it. Works for me.
That’s a lot neater than the others I’d googled but a tad too pricey for the use it will get. I would be interested otherwise.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Well….that didn’t go very well.

Popped over to J & S in Uckfield this morning and tried everything. Price limited to £150 at the moment but also they were very low on small head size. Tried at least 2 manufacturers of each. But mostly mediums.

Flip-up. Felt horrible and I didn’t like the weight on the top with it open. The padding pushed into the side of my neck under my jaw with three chins on a couple and actually made me feel a bit ill.
:( :lol:
Open face with visor. Visor felt very close to my face and neck. Similar problem with the padding on a couple but one was ok. I wouldn’t have felt happy riding with it plus no Pinlock availability.

Removable chin guard. All the ones they sell only have a tinted drop down visor so no good. Similar problem with padding on a couple. No Pinlock because visor is so small. I have seen some with a proper visor as well as a inner sun shade in either Helmet City or Sportsbike Shop/M&P. Helmet City are only an hour away so worth visiting - the other two would only be viable online but not really practical except for price matching after trying somewhere else (which I don’t like doing unless forced to).

I’m not sure where I can go from here. I am trying to avoid having to take a different helmet with me and/or spend too much as it will only be for about 6 events a year with a mileage between 30 min and 80 max.
An option is to revert to an open face or trials helmet but I don’t like wearing goggles as I feel my vision is so restricted so that sends me back to having to carry the helmet as a spare- not out of the question but I was trying to avoid it…plus I would also have to buy a new tailpack for my 690 Rally Raid rack, which is quite small anyway.

Picky? Moi?? Maybe! :( :lol: Glad I started looking early.

I do like the principle of the Shark Evoline that Paul suggests but they seem to be discontinued bar one or two floating around at a chunky price.

Hmmmmm.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

As I already have a very comfy Nolan road helmet, I’ve taken a punt on this.

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/nolan-n70- ... white-026/

I can always send it back or take it back to the shop.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

That is a smart looking design 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Re the open face / no Pinlock issue. I very much doubt that you'll need a Pinlock with an open face helmet.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Scott_rider wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:25 am That is a smart looking design 8-) .
:D
I did up my budget a tad but these are in their sale and waaaaay cheaper than anyone else.
They do quite a few really nice colourway versions of the same lid.
It doesn’t seem to have the lower bits of padding that pressed on the side of my neck so fingers crossed.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Hall

Post by Hall »

I've got the same helmet and love it ,they only have small and xs at that price
Aka "jkay"
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Big thumbs up to Helmet City. Online order yesterday lunchtime and delivered at lunchtime today.

Helmet is spot on for what I want but it will be a while before it gets used, unless it warms up a bit.
I have removed the annoying chin windbreak - it just rips my nose when I take the helmet off and I’ve removed the neck roll as I won’t need it for the spring to autumn use it will normally get.
If it is a good as it feels, I may well use it for my trail riding as well, as the sun visor would be handy and there is more room around my chin than the Tour X4. That may now see duty on the Norden.

Very pleased.
Thanks for everyone’s advice and info. Just balancing thoughts is always helpful.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “CLOTHING”