mousse can deflate?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DavidS

Re: mousse can deflate?

Post by DavidS »

As Richard says, they aren’t road legal (mind you, in theory, nor are heavy duty tubes for some unknown, to me, reason).

Apart from the cost and speed limiting issues, I didn’t want my wife bearing the brunt of the fallout if I ended up under a truck for any reason that involved a safety check on the bike.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
dave h

Post by dave h »

i tried fitting a mousse once but antlers kept stickin out ,gave up in the end,

hope this helps,

dave.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I used to cut out a valve from an old inner tube and tape it through the inside of the rim to hold it in place, to make it look like it was fitted with tubes :oops: :roll:

Clearly, this didn't resolve a liability issue but it might have prevented a fine, if stopped. We once got fined £60 for having small number plates by an eagle eyed traffic officer at the petrol station near the Ridgeway at Chiseldon, Swindon, so I was a bit conscious of being nicked. There were 6 of us, from memory, so a cool £360 in one go :cry: .

To be fair, my number plate on my old KTM 450 was about the size of a fag packet... :lol:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I've just put the front tyre off the ground now, as well as the rear. I can tell they look flattish, but am now confident that they will both plump up again, once warm.

I don't know what they are going to be like, to use, as I haven't had chance to ride them properly, as I was replacing my clutch friction plates.

I have suddenly become puncture phobic, since a 3 inch piece of metal tubing punctured my rear end .. oo er .. (MT21). Even after that I took a ride around Claerwen, complete with bodged patch to the tyre, and an old tube that seemed OK.

It suddenly got dark, as it does in December, and it was wet and cold, and I couldn't see, riding a precarious bend at the side of that dark ominous field of lurking water (lol).... ... hence my tyre phobia. I didn't realise this stuff about mousses .. but I am excited to see how they perform.

I have bought a 42 T rear sprocket to lower the gearing just slightly, for slightly more torque, without loosing much mpg. 14/42 shouldn't make too much difference from 14/40 .. and I can't use higher speeds anyway.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

garyboy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:33 pm I've just put the front tyre off the ground now, as well as the rear. I can tell they look flattish, but am now confident that they will both plump up again, once warm.

I don't know what they are going to be like, to use, as I haven't had chance to ride them properly, as I was replacing my clutch friction plates.

I have suddenly become puncture phobic, since a 3 inch piece of metal tubing punctured my rear end .. oo er .. (MT21). Even after that I took a ride around Claerwen, complete with bodged patch to the tyre, and an old tube that seemed OK.
My experience with mousses: Used them on KDX 200's up to 950 KTMs for trail riding, uk rallies and enduros.

Over time mousses shrink, this has a similar feel to gradually reducing the tyre pressures. Eventually the mousse shrinks so much it needs to be replaced. (Some people have apparently cut a mousse and inserted a section of old mousse - never tried this, sounds beyond dodgy.)

Mousse life has ranged from 1 - 2 yrs, seems random but use and age when fitted appear important - boxes have dates on them, don't expect an old stock mousse to last as long as a recently manufactured item. Lubricate well when fitting, using proper mousse lube.

Obviously a heavy bike gives a mousse a harder life, but harder mousses (desert) are available.

When to use is a individual's choice and the benefits over inner tubes are obvious (assuming you carry tools, pump and spare tube when running tubes). The disadvantage is cost, however if you've changed an inner tube in snow and rain on a hillside you may consider the spend worthwhile!

Fitting a mousse is generally straightforward IF you have the correct technique and tools; and as RBJ said the mousse is a correct match to the tyre.

(If the mousse is too big for the tyre you will struggle and almost certainly fail to fit it - ask me how I know :roll:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for that extra information, .. its all new to me and i welcome any understanding of the slippery critters.
My tyre fitter, a well respected local bike shop owner, did not give me the parcel box to inspect, just a quick look .. though it looked new, of course. I also didnt get my old inner tube bak, and also was not allowed to watch to fitting process. I have some misgivings but he should be ok, judging by good reports off clients.

Even so, I'm wondering if a tool like the Rabaconda would be a good idea? Of course, i may move away from mousses, and then it would not be worth it, especially as the fitter only charges £15 to fit.

I'm wondering if a smaller tube or mousse could be inserted into the rim well, if the mousse later gets too soft?
I've seen pics of mousse balls, so can well imagine fitting a slice of old mousse into the circumference of a softened original mousse.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I wouldn't add anything. If the combo or tyre and mousse is correct to start with and is looked after ie taken off and cleaned/lubed now and again they should last a couple of years. It's a massive weight off your mind when trail riding or racing.
Once the tyre won't pop up onto rim and stay there after a refit then it's time to change or get a 120 tyre instead of a 140.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I have a mousse fitting guide on my website if you fancy it. Some big companies asked to copy and make their own based on it....
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

redbikejohn wrote:I have a mousse fitting guide on my website if you fancy it. Some big companies asked to copy and make their own based on it....
Have you got a link??
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

redbikejohn wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:49 pm I have a mousse fitting guide on my website if you fancy it. Some big companies asked to copy and make their own based on it....
I recall a struggle with a mousse that we lost John... :D

Return to “TECHNICAL”