KLR 650 ABS base model

The Things We Ride
Apophis

KLR 650 ABS base model

Post by Apophis »

So I moved to the US and had to give up my Bike there in the UK
I went to a shop in Illinois to get a reduced to clear KLR 650 I am still to pay Sales tax and register it in Wisconsin
But so far the bike has cost me £5200 and will cost me maybe £250 more on sales tax and registration

I want to be totally honest with this bikes review going forward good or bad !

So the big day came to pick it up I went to Uhaul and hired a bike trailer for the day at a wopping cost of $27 and made my way towards Chicago

payed my money they gave me the bike now it had been in there nice warm showroom and I started it no problem and gave it a good look over no problems loaded it onto the trailer on my own the sales guy just said see ya. (oh ok thanks )

once loaded and strapped down
uqkddssa.png
uqkddssa.png (727.04 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
I got the bike home unloaded it and wheeled it into my unheated garage where I left it took the trailer back and the next day I tried to start the bike no such luck it just turned over and over and over.

So I thought right its Christmas and there is nothing I can do now everywhere is shut so I thought lets see if there is anything on line
Low and Behold there is a big thing about the Kawasaki KACR ( Kawasaki auto compression release ) and that bikes in cold climates are affected.

so for the next few days I tried to start the bike but nothing it just turned over. see the you tube video attached of this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6fEbY1SbPU

I rang Kawasaki US when they were open again and they contacted the dealer direct and told them to come and pick the bike up, they said once they have the bike to contact the Technical team at Kawasaki direct.

Now mine Bike was doing the same as the you tube clip but I wasn't even getting the odd Chuff so yesterday the bike with Just 1 mile on it was making its way back to the dealership I will keep you informed on the progress.
qakagh9b.png
qakagh9b.png (449.59 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Every day is an adventure
catcitrus

Re: KLR 650 ABS base model

Post by catcitrus »

The auto decompression just enables quicker cranking but it still should fire as it only releases a little compression pressure--sounds like its more of a cold start enrichment ECU issue--but hopefully you'll get it sorted pretty quickly. I spent 3 years in Peoria , Illinois, and also had a KLR 650 for a while--but it was a carb model. I made a point of riding every month through the winter. Used to be cold but not that much snow. I got some strange looks from car drivers and seemed to be the only bike out there. It seems that the Americans don't ride in the winter months north of the southern states
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

You are correct in your thought process

However the spec for the engine to be able to start with the KACR is something like 66 - 120 psi when compression is measured and once running the centrifugal force closes the decompression

However have this in mind expansion and contraction of materials now I know you know about this uncle Albert

Some new Gen 3s are worse than others and the gen 2 also had the issue

When cold the expansion of material and the KACR opens the exhaust valve on the compression stroke just a fraction to much and the compression drops below the low limit now there isn’t enough compression for the engine to start I believe the fix Kawasaki are doing is to take material off the pin to bring the compression up when cold so the engine starts.

I am just concerned this will have an effect on the system when the engine is warmer in the warmer weather IE more stress on the starter or the sprag clutch
As the compression will be higher in the warmer months
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I had a old klr650 that had a kawasaki update for a heated carb bowl to prevent icing...sure they will sort it..
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

So the Klr is back and they checked the Start compression and that was in spec at 89-91 PSI and the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with the bike
Umm ok so why in the four days I had it I didn't get it started once bad Plug was the reply Oh really then the day came that they were bringing it back and oh sorry SIr your bike wont start so we have done more fault finding and it seems that the injector is sticking open every 30 or so injections.

so they ordered a New injector and that took a week and a half to arrive I finally got the bike back 6 weeks after they took it.

so now I will set it up and get it run in and travel ready I have a huge continent to explore now.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Now that is an unusual fault on a new bike--glad you have it sorted and good luck--spring is on the way !!. I've just sold an R1100RS and bought a F800 GT--yet to pick it up --seems much lighter than the 1100 and I can get my leg over the seat (just) --and its a standard seat--lower options are available but we'll see. I think you had a couple of the 800 engines in the UK in GS format?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i liked me klr .it it were a bit rough suspension wise i belive the newerones are better ..but as you say at 5 grand and if needed yss shock and some fork valves arnt much in the scheme of things
i had mine a good while and it was like a mk1 landrover dead simple and pretty decent at unmettled roads ..i liked it a lot
brand new wilderbeast :shock: 5 grand new imagine that ?
..id have another today .short 1st gear .max touque at 3200 revs and it really was much better than it should have been it was a real good egg and i still have a soft spot for it now
maby they will fetch em in to the uk sometime
be interesting to see what u think ...enjoy :mrgreen:

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

Well the saga Continues got bike back and it took ages cranking to start it but it would start then I took it for a Maiden voyage I had to register it and pay the Sales tax at the DMV first.

well I got to the end of the road and it miss fired a few times and stalled now it wont start again so now it is going back to the dealers again now I have had this bike from Dec and am still yet to ride the dam thing properly

I'm sure it will get sorted but it is frustrating that a brand new bike is doing this well it is going to a different dealer this time hope they do a better Job at fixing it ill keep you Posted I need to get the miles on it so it is ready for my trip later this year.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

After a second trip to the the dealership (I used a new Dealership this time) it is fixed

There is a fuel pump recall on the 2022 KLR and mine was done before I purchased it and it seems the fuel was in there all that time and was off
The second dealership checked fuel pressure and found the plug fouled again when they were checking the Compression. fuel drained and flushed new battery as well.
long story short its fixed and I have done 130 miles on it.

now to bolt on all the parts for traveling I have bolted on a Monokey universal plate for the back box I brought the back box over from the UK.
but it covers the tool kit access.
Attachments
IMG_0793[1].JPG
IMG_0793[1].JPG (203.99 KiB) Viewed 547 times
IMG_0805[1].JPG
IMG_0805[1].JPG (135.62 KiB) Viewed 547 times
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

So now Im putting miles on the small bike with a big heart here is my view so far please remember its an opinion
I had an F800 gsa in the UK and rode it all year

Today I rode to work and it is Windy but the KLR stood its ground I have noticed since day one the seating position is for the shorter Fellow and I will be getting the Peg drop down Brackets at a later date before I do a long trip planed later this year if I were to compare it to a bike I would say that it is smoother than my wife's G650GS that she had the mirrors vibrate like buggery and you know there is a car there but blurred from vibration. its not overly vibrating when riding though if you know what I mean by that, but we will see after 8 hours riding so far its true what they say about them they will do everything but nothing really well.
I have also had MT Harley's and this is probably the best comparison with it having a much better top end than the 604 Version I built.

I have added some Bits to it and will do a post at some point with a reflection on the prices and what you get for your money.
there are also some mods that should be done One being called the Thermo bob I will do this as soon as I can to stop the Cylinder going out of round and burning oil and a couple of other mods I will go into in time now its running I'm an happy it dose what it can and in the US the roads are all long and straight so I'm looking for some twisty roads but for now its 55 / 60 on most roads and there is an officer of the law on most corners earning there wage in fines

Return to “BIKES”