Screens - I’m confused.

The essential art of farkling.
DavidS

Screens - I’m confused.

Post by DavidS »

Apologies that this is a bit of a rehash of an earlier part post but my research has been conflicting.
Sorry it’s a bit long winded.

I have never had a bike with anything more than a token screen as I had never been keen on them but, in my dotage I am finding the lack of ‘chest wind’ wonderful.
But….I am getting a lot of wind noise in my helmet but no buffeting. At a constant 70 it does get annoying but isn’t really noticed in quick overtaking bursts. I am 6’3 so taller than average.

This is the standard screen.
IMG_1929.jpeg
IMG_1929.jpeg (294.56 KiB) Viewed 11633 times
Paul C kindly gave some help but, reading up since, there appears to be pros and cons for taller screens.
I categorically don't want to have see through the screen, only clearly over it. About 150mm higher would be the max.
I don’t need it for long journey protection - this bike is for fun, not travelling.

Some ads or comments imply more head turbulence with a higher screen, others say they create a haven of calm, maybe with a tad of back wind, which would be acceptable.
I have messaged Powerbronze twice (they are only an hour from me) to ask if they have try before you buy samples of their lower and higher screens but had no reply. It doesn’t make me inclined to bother phoning them if they can’t answer messages but maybe I’m spiting myself.
Paul (I think) suggested the Expedition screen but, with my nearest dealer being 2 hours away and the only used bike on Autotrader being in the midlands-ish trying one isn’t an option.

As said, I have no experience of screens so any advice will be welcomed.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
catcitrus

Re: Screens - I’m confused.

Post by catcitrus »

Try one of those clip on extras to start with---the cheap Chinese ones are surprisingly good. They can be adjusted for hight and tilted to give you that bit more deflection over the top. Unfortunately only some manufacturers design screens that have a duct(gap) at the bottom and an inner surface which produces a stream of infilling air to fill the depression caused by the screen in the first place, and goes some way to preventing vortex shedding which creates noise and some side buffeting--a screen is not simply something stuffed in front of you!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks - really handy explanation. I’m not keen on the top deflectors, purely from a bulky look point of view.
I notice the Expedition has said slot but looks a tad high for me.
I have this fear of flushing a fortune on different screens, hence the hope to try first.
Puig seem to have a good reputation and do a slightly taller screen but that may still create the same pressure issues.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Have you tried it with taking the standard screen off all together, bigger isn't always better. I've improved my BMW by reducing screen height.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Hi David.
I can't remember my previous comments but in relation to the Expedition screen I'm 5'6" and can see over it. The hole you mention is to create an improved airflow. Nothing noticeable comes through it. As to how it protects a rider like yourself who's significantly taller I don't know. From memory the Expedition screen is about £120, you'd probably be able to sell it for £80-£90 if it didn't suit. Image
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:27 am Have you tried it with taking the standard screen off all together, bigger isn't always better. I've improved my BMW by reducing screen height.
That was a thought. Powerbronze do a shorter screen but only comment on aesthetics.
Did you still get some worthwhile wind protection?
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Paul_C wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:43 am Hi David.
I can't remember my previous comments but in relation to the Expedition screen I'm 5'6" and can see over it. The hole you mention is to create an improved airflow. Nothing noticeable comes through it. As to how it protects a rider like yourself who's significantly taller I don't know. From memory the Expedition screen is about £120, you'd probably be able to sell it for £80-£90 if it didn't suit. Image
You’ve usefully expanded on your original post Paul.
Making me torn between two stools at the moment.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

DavidS wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:55 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:27 am Have you tried it with taking the standard screen off all together, bigger isn't always better. I've improved my BMW by reducing screen height.
That was a thought. Powerbronze do a shorter screen but only comment on aesthetics.
Did you still get some worthwhile wind protection?
It made no difference that I could notice but 60-70mph is all that I do. A shorter screen may well do the job.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have a number of K bikes, all with different screens but underneath the configuration is the same.

One is very low, love it, more exposed but with the right gear rain noise buffetting has not been an issue. My go to bike for the heat in Spain and France and discovered this by accident as I intended taking a different bike and had a last minute change.

One is low, similar and the one I had intended taking.

One with an RT/LT screen, this one is highish but I still look over the screen and found there is a slot that if your screen and eyeline mach correctly you are looking through a dry spot even in rain. Why do I really love this screen? Simple, I like to ride with my visor open. This works great in dark and in rain.

One with a high fixed screen. This was brand new on the bike when I bought it 10 years ago and yes you have to look through it. My immediate reaction was to remove it. I never did, its still on it. BUT looking through it doesnt work if its low sun or wet at night and oncoming lights. I have choices so its not used in those conditions. However its great.!! It has been to France and creates a nice cooling/heating area behind it, cool in hot weather but on a freezing day its got a warm draught!.

One with electric screen. Definitely the best of all worlds. This one I do like as it is adjustable for angle and height.

But.....I love the very first one, electric screen means motor and weight where you dont want it!
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

It's a bit of experiment but I've always just heated with hit air gun top 50mm of screen and bent forward ...kinda like a mini spoiler it pushes the air away above head without using a large screen...done it on many of my bikes...gently heat along edge then Ben forward with a cloth so you don't burn your hands lol...

Return to “ACCESSORIES”