I have returned…

Bikers and riding
DavidS

I have returned…

Post by DavidS »

…..even if no-one had noticed I had gone. :(

Some of you will know about my near financial disaster when Freestyles went bust when I had paid in full for my Norden 901, assuming delivery was only a couple of days away.

With thanks to UK consumer law and the sterling efforts of KTM UK, I did get my bike but it was three months or so of deep stress.
IMG_1929.jpeg
IMG_1929.jpeg (294.56 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
With a long holiday cropping up just after I finally got it, I haven’t even got to the first service yet but I’m loving it so far. Quickshifters are a joy!

I’ve never got on with screens but the lack of wind pressure is a new riding pleasure for me but, as I noticed Paul C commented, at 70 it is very blowy (but not buffetty) around the head. Up to 70 it is just a bit noisy but tolerable.

Paul, I noticed you fitted the Expedition screen. Does that quieten things down without being too high. I won’t be going on big trips or rides, just more comfy UK chuntering.
Or has anyone else fitted something like a Puig?
My other option is something like a lower Powerbronze that gives a bit of body wind protection but reduces the helmet noise.

My trail riding is ending and my 690 will be up for sale shortly.
At 69 and useless at it, I’ve just lost my mojo for being tossed around.
The 901 will just give me body room to enjoy road riding more and I’ve put in longer days already than I have done for some years now.

Anyone else tweaked theirs?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Scott_rider

Re: I have returned…

Post by Scott_rider »

That a nice looking bike 8-)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Welcome back, Dave

From Black Dog on the KTM forum
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:01 pm Welcome back, Dave

That answers a long standing question…
I have been trying to work out where I knew you from when you became the conduit to sorting it all out. You have my extreme thanks for the prompt to contact KTM.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
soho

Post by soho »

That's a story I wasn't aware of. Really pleased to hear of a positive outcome, nobody in their golden years needs the stress and worry of huge financial troubles. Rough Rider to Road Ranger ? who cares on the 901 it's gotta be fun !

I've gone the way of mostly road riding now too, only a little trail stuff and I'm also without anymore huge bikes.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

soho wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:21 pm That's a story I wasn't aware of. Really pleased to hear of a positive outcome, nobody in their golden years needs the stress and worry of huge financial troubles. Rough Rider to Road Ranger ? who cares on the 901 it's gotta be fun !

I've gone the way of mostly road riding now too, only a little trail stuff and I'm also without anymore huge bikes.
Thanks

It was more the being stitched up and lied to than the money. The KTM Forum guys got the full ins and outs, whether they wanted it or not.
We weren’t going to starve - I had already drawn the money out for something else but possibly would have been a 1190 Adv.
Not sure I could look at a different 901 without a resurgence off peed-offness.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

DavidS wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:17 pm

I have been trying to work out where I knew you from when you became the conduit to sorting it all out. You have my extreme thanks for the prompt to contact KTM.
No problem. The excessive protection allowed to directors of Ltd Co's and the way Administrators/Receivers operate on the margins of the law is something that makes me pretty furious.
I exposed false accounting at a large 'restructuring' company, which left me £3500 down. The police said it was a matter for the administrators' governing body. The gentleman concerned (who was a nominated 'fall guy') was eventually fined £500 + £1000 costs by them...which given his time was charged at £450/hour showed just how seriously it was taken.
See also Norton Motors, where the theft of key components from customers' motorcycles and the continued marketing of unroadworthy motorcycles left a load of customers out of pocket but the gentlemen who did it escaped scot free.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:58 pm
DavidS wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:17 pm

No problem. The excessive protection allowed to directors of Ltd Co's and the way Administrators/Receivers operate on the margins of the law is something that makes me pretty furious.
I exposed false accounting at a large 'restructuring' company, which left me £3500 down. The police said it was a matter for the administrators' governing body. The gentleman concerned (who was a nominated 'fall guy') was eventually fined £500 + £1000 costs by them...which given his time was charged at £450/hour showed just how seriously it was taken.
See also Norton Motors, where the theft of key components from customers' motorcycles and the continued marketing of unroadworthy motorcycles left a load of customers out of pocket but the gentlemen who did it escaped scot free.
Yes, too much protection and even then, they barely get a slapped wrist.
Amazingly, because it was on his land, Freestyle’s owner was helping out the company taking over the premises! They will be doing enduro stuff but not as a dealer.

Norton was just an appalling situation. I’m surprised someone didn’t deal with Garner off their own back.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

The expedition screen suits me well. Completes the bike as far as weather protection is concerned. Glad you managed to get the bike in the end.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Richard Simpson Mark II

"Norton was just an appalling situation. I’m surprised someone didn’t deal with Garner off their own back."

He said the 'stress' had given him 'mental health issues', so got off without going to jail.

I don't know if 'head of design' Steve Skinner is still working at Norton, but I'd strongly advise everyone NOT to buy a new Norton until news of his sacking is made public.

And no one shows any interest in prosecuting them for selling unroadworthy motorcycles. If it was 'Sid under the arches' selling unroadworthy used cars, Trading Standards would no doubt be on the case. Someone should be asking DVSA how Norton got Single Vehicle Approval for every bike they sold under the previous management when they were all unroadworthy.

The frames were welded up from lengths of tube just cut to 90 degrees, and the gaps filled with weld.

I think I said at the time if anyone wanted a Norton V4, they could save themselves a lot of grief if they got an Aprilia and a tin of silver paint instead.

I don't understand what's going on at 'new' Norton. There's a massive factory that looks far too big for the tiny number of bikes they might sell. Interestingly what was the old Norton rotary factory in Shenstone is now under siege from the unwashed rabble because the rotary engine is used in various drones. So they did find a use for it, eventually.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”