Biking Brotherhood?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

Re: Biking Brotherhood?

Post by catcitrus »

I have to say that in France etc all bikers acknowledge each other. In the UK I always give a hand wave. Interestingly its generally modern BMW GS riders that don't respond--probably spoils their image to acknowledge those on less expensive bikes .
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Try waving at people from a PCX delivery scooter… some very bemused looks from other bikers

They probably think their pizza is on its way
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Some of the comments remind me of a story when a rider was asked what pressure he had in his tires. "I'm not sure, the dealer checks it " was the answer.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

bit to hot to move but got off the sun bed for a dip in the pool, past a bloke reading a bike mag i have that one mate good un init, he just looked up at me did not say anything then just returned to his mag it was a issue of Adventure Bike mag could not even be bothered to speak
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Probably didn’t speak English and just looked at the pictures?🤔
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Or maybe mr. Blue has some heavy accent (Google Scottish guys in voice controlled elevator, or Scottish Bank Indian hot line, or Cockney, or Geordie), and the guy was only familiar with the Queens English, and didn't understand him. Or he wasn't wearing his hearing aids since he was planning on taking a dip later on. Or an introvert. We may never know.
I've been working with a guy from Newcastle for years now and I still always have to ask him to repeat what he says.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I went out yesterday, Sunday, on my GSXS1000F for a 90 mile ride around the Cotswolds. I stopped at a my usual place for a coffee and there were 5 bikes and bikers outside (all speaking English). Not one of them said hello or acknowledged me, even when I glanced and spoke in their direction. I usually don't get miffed over stuff like this but for some reason the lack of 'brotherhood' and even common courtesy did miff me yesterday
:( .

The Suzuki had covered itself in shizzle with run off from the fields that was all over the roads literally every 3 or 4 miles, despite them being generally dry...and I was wearing my RST black hoodie over my jacket to keep warm, so maybe they thought I was a hooligan...? :lol:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Interesting subject .. group psyche, individual psychology, perceived threats, body language, xenophobia, speaking accents, standardised responses, formation of groups, perceived hierarchy, us and them, combatative division, inclusivity, .. plus all this and more played out on a tentative, dangerous world political and economic stage. :D :mrgreen: :? 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Some people have formed groups, based on biking, and type of bike. Trying to project an air of belonging and membership of 'cool'.
These same individuals are sometimes in awe, or feel intimidated by, the presence of a Real biker.
They may not know how to respond.

Return to “THE PUB”