Biking Brotherhood?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Magnusson

Re: Biking Brotherhood?

Post by Magnusson »

Don't want to tell people how to do things but maybe a shout like "Oi, we could use a hand here." might have brought 10-20 people to help push.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

before my time but did they tie a hanky to the handle bars to show they had broke down
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Not heard that one.
Only one I know of, but never seen, is helmet nearby, flat on ground. Maybe it's American?
Most riders seem to have Paul's experience of 'don't give a fuck, mate' .. but occasionally someone will stop to see if ok.
Most riders these days don't even nod.
But I still nod to every rider I pass, .. Great when they respond, and amusing when they don't, lol.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

I agree with both scenarios here.
We started going to Europe 30 years ago and there’d be half a dozen bikes waiting for the ferry. The bikes were all different: Tourers, cruises, scooters, roadsters etc.. Everybody was happy, smiling and chatty - we were all going on holiday, even if was just for a weekend ride around northern France.
Somewhere along the way things changed. Turned up for a ferry to Bilbao, late naughties and there was about 200 ‘adventure bikes’ there - everyone serious: no smiling or chatting, plenty of smart clothing and sun glasses. I guess none of them were going on holiday - they were all going on an adventure.

Having said that most people are friendly and helpful and you only have to ask a group, with a smile on your face and they will help.

I do think the whole ‘adventure’ focus has been detrimental to motorcycle holidays/travel. We recently did a trip from Canada to Patagonia and treated it like a holiday, because that is exactly what it was.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Can’t go telling my wife it’s a holiday, she’ll think I’m enjoying myself. It’s an adventure, and make pretty damn sure I’m not smiling in any of the photos I post.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I think you're assuming people know how bikes work. A lot of people just rely on the AA nowadays,

I like to think I'd wander over, but the minute you'd said "electrics" I have buggered off again :D My old Pan was a bloody pain when the electrics started getting shonky & not much fun to troubleshoot in a nice, cool garage let alone a stressy, hot environment with lots of "experts" watching.

And the other side is that I personally don't particularly feel I have much in common with people who ride a different style of bike to me - Power Rangers!! What's all that about? ;-)

We do enjoy parking our muddy bikes at biker cafes after a day on the lanes & dripping on their forecourt, not many people come over to say "hi" though :lol:

D
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Thats how life is.

Many years back people would step up but the average motorcyclist back then knew stuff. i have funny stories of having a Honda 500-4 in the early-mid 70s and stopped one day clutch cable issue [had a spare]. Guy stopped to help but as he said himself he' would not know where to start with one of those things' Honda fours were not a thing back then on what is now the Wild Atlantic Way. The moral support was a help though and much appreciated.

A friend a few years back got a puncture in a car, the only person who stopped to help her was on a GS and changed the wheel. In pissing rain. Back in the time when you had spare wheels, jacks and tools.

But I agree about the bikes, trendy kit and so on and many know zilch about their machines. Doesn't really matter with new ones because you can't do anything roadside on them anyway. You can change a clutch cable roadside, but a hydraulic clutch problem and you are buggered. I ride nice old K bikes, ranging from 83-96 and most don't folk bother with us.

One thing I do know, its a bugger when you are trying to move a heavy bike and an unsolicited well meaning helper comes up and starts pushing, usually leading to disaster. So, given the heat and the location, maybe you guys looked like you had it covered and maybe should have given a help signal. At the ferry port normally I have most of the bike gear off anyway and would be up for it, but I am one who if I see two experienced bikers sorted with it am more inclined to leave alone but am never unwilling. I have had to move heavy bikes and with so much plastic there arent may places to push from. At the risk of a dig there are those on bikes who also do not have a clue on how to push some of these heavy tourers.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I generally give a wave or nod to other two wheelers, I get a response perhaps 40% of the time. If I see a bike stopped on the side of the road I'll check they're ok, they usually are. If I encounter riders in a cafe or similar we'll typically grunt at each other or perhaps have a short chat.
However, a couple of weeks ago I was riding in north Wales collecting a few landmarks for the excellent Round Britain Rally. I stopped in a seaside cafe and sat inside for a coffee and sandwich. Three other bikes arrived and the riders sat outside. When they came in to order they walked past my table, with a helmet on it, and it was like I was invisible. each one totally ignored me. I think this is actually a first, I was looking their way, expecting a nod or grunt. but nothing.
When I left and was getting on my bike a gentleman sitting in the adjacent car struck up a conversation and was really civil. Restored my belief in human nature.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I am beginning to realise that 'brotherhood ' may involve one's own activity.. initiate?

Things have changed even in the last few years ... I'm just thinking... is this because of 'the pandemic ' , where people have been indoctrinated to 'keep away ' ?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Paul_C wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:16 am When I left and was getting on my bike a gentleman sitting in the adjacent car struck up a conversation and was really civil. Restored my belief in human nature.
I've noticed that i get more nods, waves and conversation from the old lads when i'm out and about on my old BSA A10.
I still slow down and wave in passing if i see someone at the side of the road but more times than not they are checking their mobile phone or having a fag break.

Return to “THE PUB”