Biking Brotherhood?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
PaulinBont

Biking Brotherhood?

Post by PaulinBont »

I’ll set the scene:

Santander docks, 34*C in the midday sun.

My friend’s Pan European broke down as we entered the Port. We struggled to push it through the various areas making our way towards check-in, sweating pints, him not well at all with food poisoning.

Probably a 100+ motorcyclists milling around in the shaded area watching us sweating as we pushed.

Did anyone offer to help?

Nope!

Thankfully some dock workers pushed it onto the Ferry.

Some of the numerous GS’s were even sporting ’ABR’ stickers!

Whatever happened to the ‘community’?
Last edited by PaulinBont on Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike941

Re: Biking Brotherhood?

Post by Spike941 »

Whether I’m cycling or motorcycling, I will alway slow down or stop to see if a fellow rider is in need of assistance. But I guess that’s just my nature.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

To be fair, one guy did rummage in his panniers to see if he had an Allan key to take the side panels off to access the electrics but getting the bike onboard was a higher priority
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

PaulinBont wrote:I’ll set the scene:

My friend’s Pan European broke down as we entered the Port. We struggled to push it through the various areas making our way towards check-in, sweating pints, him not well at all with food poisoning.

Probably a 100+ motorcyclists milling around in the shaded area watching us sweating as we pushed.

Nope!

Some of the numerous GS’s were even sporting’ABR’ stickers!

Nobody gives a fuck now
It’s dog eat dog nowadays, sadly
However earlier in September I did stop on the moorland road out of Newcastleton (for a piss) and a chap stopped on a 350cc scooter to ask if I was ok
Fine I said and we had a good natter, interesting things those new scooters
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

PaulinBont wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:28 am I’ll set the scene:

Nope!

Some of the numerous GS’s were even sporting’ABR’ stickers!

Hang on a minute, I smell a rat here. Something doesn’t sit right…..oh yeah that’s it, Pan Europeans don’t break down!!
Now, had it been one of the BMWs….. :lol:
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Electrical problem
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Sadly you can't change the actions of others, the important thing is that you step up to the plate yourself 8-)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

will say last time i was waiting for recovery, a few did stop including a couple in cars, bloke come out of his house to see if he could help and did i want a cup of tea admitted i was on the road near Matlock Bath so plenty of bikers, i only passed 3 bikes at side of road since ive had car /bike that i could not stop, always have stopped always will
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

The times, they are a changing.

Privatisation.

Started with Thatcher
Remember "loadsa money " ?
I'm alright Jack? attitude.

AA, RAC .. wave of the gauntleted glove? .1950s +.. but for the elite. The rest of us relied on ourselves. .. the Biker Brotherhood. .. + the bank of mum and dad.?

Now .... its private Breakdown Cover, and insurances.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I'm not defending the mass of bikers that failed to help, but .. painting another scenario...
Your with a mate, and his little crf300Rally has broken down near the top of the Swiss alps. A lone biker arrives .. what would his or her reaction be ?

Going back to the original scenario, .. your with a mate about to board the santander ferry. The aera is so hot you can hardly breath. You can't see properly because the heat waves are shimmering off the melting tarmac, and your ears are ringing with overwhelming sound of insane cars revving on and off the ferry as well as from the mad locals.

You manage to find a tiny amount of shade that even has a tiny hot breeze to drain your copious sweat off. You're afraid to move . Your ferry is due any minute and you don't want to lose your place and miss the ferry
You can't wait to get home. It's your last day of touring and you want to see your wife and kids who are about to go away.

Suddenly a big pan euro bike appears. Its broken down. Its very heavy and dangerously top heavy when stopped or pushed slowly. You guess it's electrical and know nothing about V4s or electrics, which are mostly inaccessible underneath anyway. You look around.. there are 99 other bikers very nearby .. so, .. you ???

Return to “THE PUB”