YSS basic shock and wilbers fork spring review

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
minkyhead

YSS basic shock and wilbers fork spring review

Post by minkyhead »

thought about this before putting it up ..it was really done for one of the forums for the versys

that said trolling the internet for any meaningful feedback before taking a punt was few and far between .
.i started with getting the bee in me bnnet by trying a R1 shock conversion from the forums that kinda failed .
.ive used Yss before on the crfs as have quite a few and most lads are very happy with them but a heavy road bike was quite new to me for this shock
as always gettin the right spring is going to be key ..but i thought if anyone had a bike that could do with a lift may be interested and anyone with a versys i guess will be more so ....theres some stuff on there that is bike related but if you click more in the description you will see some chapters relevent to the suspension then click on the time if you view through you tube
i shouldnt have been too surprised after the crfs that the yss manged to punch well above it paygrade and weight :mrgreen:

Last edited by minkyhead on Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tramp

Re: YSS basic shock and wilbers fork spring review

Post by Tramp »

Hi Steve.

I've had a yss on my xt660z for over 5 years its fantastic for the price and handle touring and offroad easily..along with some dr650se fork springs and valves it's a different flying hippo..
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

tbo russ iwas abit worried as the yss spring was stiffer than the versys ..but yss was right and i was wrong in this case ..the wilbers fork spring was somwhat of a susprise after trying hyperpro a while back
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Lol...racetech sorted my front shocks ...6.0nm linear springs like ohlins but lots cheaper ...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

A few years ago I had a Mk1 Versys (2007 bike) that I was trying to make into a unicorn bike for adventure type stuff and read up on ADV rider about fitting the R1 rear shock along with adding preload to the forks plus modifying the valving. It turned out to be ok but found the R1 shock wasn't much better than the standard Versys. Changing the forks for drz400's plus the 21" front wheel was also a proven mod but I didn't like the reduction in road manners so put it back to standard before selling off the bike and the parts. From memory a chap on here (Bart 🤔) also tried something similar.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

seen a few mk1s adverturised up on the sites tbo i cant imagine the mk4 being taken on by anyone in that way .it kinda bucks the trend of the ret hot adv bike class going the oppisite way and making a soft long distance solo tourer .. i just wanted to tweak it alittle and the yss has done a grand job there
that r1 conversion ive seen posts saying a smooth as silk and bed of feathers and all that ..maby if your 4ft3 and weigh 15 kilos :mrgreen:
yss to the rescue without selling the grankids for medical experiments :D
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have various model K bikes, from 83 K100RS to 97 K1100LT.

Looking at shocks, I have a range of them, RAM, Koni [not Ikon], Hagon, YSS, YSS budget and of course original BMW.

I have done lots of travelling on them, loaded up too and even pulling a trailer.

So good comparisons.

Of all of them the KONI would be top of my list. Of course you cant get these now.

But next is my YSS budget shock, I have it 7 years and have moved it across a few bikes and its done a lot of miles. The only adjustment is has is preload.

The Hagon is on a bike I got this year and I have only done 3,000 miles on it, some of it on camping trips with the trailer and i am still getting used to it.

All in all though, the YSS budget is proving itself a good buy.

Oh, the BMW ones are rubbish.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles

Return to “TECHNICAL”