The Ardennes...route advice please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Scott_rider

The Ardennes...route advice please

Post by Scott_rider »

I'm getting confused with 'The Ardennes'...I've been through what I thought was 'The Ardennes' but looking at the map that seemed to be from Givet, due south to Charleville-Mezieres, then due east to Esch-sur-Alzette on the Luxembourg border, but that route was all entirely in France...however most ride blogs about 'The Ardennes' seem to talk about roads and routes entirely in Belgium...? :?

So I'm not sure if I've been through it or not :? (the biking part of The Ardennes, I mean).

Are there any recommendations for a route on the Belgium side...and a town to stay in for a few days?
Last edited by Scott_rider on Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Re: The Ardennes...route advice please

Post by garyboy »

Don't know any routes there.. but just done a Google..

The ardennes are a forest on a raised plateau, covering parts of France, Belgium, and Luxembourg.
Its where the Battle of the Bulge took place.
Namur in Belgium is famous.
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

Bastoyne is not a bad town to base yourself in.quite a few museums to see if you like ww2 stuff.a few of us were there earlier in the year.we were in durbuy and just used any roads we came across.nice area.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

If you have an interest in German Tanks then La Gleize should be slotted into your trip - from memory the surrounding countryside, roads & villages in the area were quite nice too
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Funny that you should mention the Ardennes because i'm thinking of going there next year.
Whenever i go somewhere in France i look on the map for routes with a green line down the side, which indicate scenic roads, and then just see where ever things take me.
I found this website the other week which seems quite helpful. https://www.ardennes.com/en/itineraries ... -ardennes/
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I have a friend I met through many tours of Luxembourg with the MG Car Club, he lives in Larochette, Luxembourg he’s also a biker I’ll contact him tomorrow see if he can help you.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Dinant is a lovely place to stay: campsite on the banks of the Meuse/Maas; restaurants and bars alongside the river….the ride downstream to Namur is lovely .
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

We rode a day in the ardennes this year as part of a big trip. The northern part in Belgium. Stopped in bastogne for tea and stayed just outside.
Some great riding but as you say, the majority of it is in France so if you want to maximise the ardennes as you're passing through, I'd come from the west side, heading east.
If you pop "the ardennes" into Google maps it'll show you the shape of the area.

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

ThereImage

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

Return to “TRAVEL”