Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
johnnyboxer

Re: Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Thanks Peter an thanks for sharing that cool pic of your old one! :) just a few mobile pics really :) always fun though.

Cheers mate hopefully should have the standard exhaust can and cat arriving on Monday absolutely can't wait to try it.

I'm gonna order the tools to get the stick coils out as well, want to double check what spark plugs are in looking at the BMW EPC the twin spark ran different plugs top n low.

Here's the first adventure to Starbucks!! Lol
Nice bike
You need the oem bar pad for handlebars from your local BMWs dealer(when you pop in for those bolts)
Only about £22/3 & just Finish it off

Here’s one of mine - similar to yours, with full Ohlins & MRA screen
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Thanks Pete an Johnny :)

I actually ordered one last night at BM mate along with some fitting hardware for the stock exhaust when it arrives and a new battery cover panel and grommets.

It's pretty good how much is still available parts wise I want to buy some new disks at some point, first though I'm thinking of doing the crown wheel bearing an maybe the paralever bearings so I know where it's all up to gonna pop Steve a message and get a price from him.

Then when funds allow the upgraded cam chain tensioners.

Have you ever replaced the grips on any of yours Johnny without replacing the elements? Was having a look at what grips are available on motoworks last night.

Very nice mate is that Jim's old bike?

One thing I need to work out is the centre stand for the shocks that are on it really hard to get it onto it's stand at the mo so gonna do some measurements an check which stands on it or if I'm just not getting the leverage with being careful with my shoulder
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Thanks Pete an Johnny :)

I actually ordered one last night at BM mate along with some fitting hardware for the stock exhaust when it arrives and a new battery cover panel and grommets.

It's pretty good how much is still available parts wise I want to buy some new disks at some point, first though I'm thinking of doing the crown wheel bearing an maybe the paralever bearings so I know where it's all up to gonna pop Steve a message and get a price from him.

Then when funds allow the upgraded cam chain tensioners.

Have you ever replaced the grips on any of yours Johnny without replacing the elements? Was having a look at what grips are available on motoworks last night.

Very nice mate is that Jim's old bike?

One thing I need to work out is the centre stand for the shocks that are on it really hard to get it onto it's stand at the mo so gonna do some measurements an check which stands on it or if I'm just not getting the leverage with being careful with my shoulder
Never replaced to grips - if the rubber wears some people put grip puppies on (I have a new set of BMW’s heated grips ‘in stock’)

I would do the cam chain tensioner first - you only need to do the left (not the right) as it’s only an issue on left and never the right pot

As for the rear train bearings if the there is no play or wear then you don’t need to do anything (I am sure RWorkshop would have reported any issues with drivetrain bearings to the previous owner, if there was an issue
No need to do it without any symptoms
Yep it’s Jim’s 1150 Adv and I have known since the day he bought it new and now on 68k
On your stand issue - you may have got 1150 GS Ohlins shocks on your bike which are lower (so as you state it’s easier to get your feet on the floor which is good ) and not Adv Ohlins
However if you have GS Ohlins you need both GS stands as trying to get a lowered bike onto an Adv centre stand is a nightmare
The black bike above has GS Ohlins and corresponding GS stands
Show me which stands you have (pic of the feet) and I will tell you if you have Adv stands
My other bike has Adv Ohlins and is taller (I am 6’1 with 31” inseam) and I can still flat foot it, however the black bike rides just as well, but definitely lower as my knees are bent at a stop

With money we don't have

adventure steele

Thanks mate really appreciate the advice, I'll snap some pictures of the stands later today when I go down to the workshop just sat in at the house waiting for the exhaust to arrive :D

I'll give the shocks a measure eye to eye an see if there's anything in the Ohlins spec's to sus out what's on her currently as well. I've got a 32" inch inseam.

Ordered the service manual disks as well when I was in the dealers :) gonna have to buy a disk drive now lmao the pace of tech hey!

I'll do the LH cam chain tensioner next job on the list thanks for the tip mate.

I'm gonna whip the bike into Steve's at some point just to get it the once over an do the 56k service earlier as it's due an annual in about a month anyway. Think it make's sense while I'm getting my eye in on the 1150 platform.

Jim's bike still looks epic mate can't beat a good 1150!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote: Jim's bike still looks epic mate can't beat a good 1150!
It is still great
Had it 4-5 years now and maybe done 14k ish
It’s had all the service mods and at 67k runs as good as new
Check left hand inlet rubber when you’re having it serviced for porosity (solvent spray on tickover)
LH inlet can perish (never the RH side)

With money we don't have

adventure steele

Thanks for the tip mate will do :)

Good news the exhaust came really happy with it. Gonna fit it slightly later in the week.

A few shots of the stands to,

Gonna measure the shocks if I can get to them.

Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure steele

Few more stand pics :)

Need to give her a wash this week to.
adventure steele

Was hard to see but looks like its a BM 9400 Ohlins rear shock for anyone ever wanting wanting Check the number is viewable lh side from the top where the shock mounts hard to see because of the chassis but just about makeable out at the right angle.

Explains why I can't get it on the main stand if the stands wrong either that or I'm way to careful with my neck.

looks like the GSA Mainstand to me am I right in saying the foot is narrower / curved on the GS one Johnny where you put your foot on the stand to flick the bike on?

Other number was 117112
Shock numbers
Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Thanks for the tip mate will do :)

Good news the exhaust came really happy with it. Gonna fit it slightly later in the week.

A few shots of the stands to,

Gonna measure the shocks if I can get to them.

They are 1150 GS Adv stands

With money we don't have

adventure steele

Cheers mate *edit* just ordered some GS stands. :D

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”