Statins ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Sanqhar

Re: Statins ?

Post by Sanqhar »

Heart attack in 2005, statins ever since.

I eat worse post the MI compared to before.

Everyone has a different reaction. My advice, keep taking them, your body eventually gets used to it. In the meantime they're keeping you alive.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Difficult to fight our genes. I've swam 3 to 5 miles a week for over 35 years, eat healthily, cholesterol was ok, don't smoke, I don't get particularly stressed about things, low pulse rate, good blood pressure and I'm not a big drinker. That said I still started getting chest pains when swimming. General consensus was it was acid reflux but I had some tests just to be sure. The angiogram showed that I had a very narrow artery. Sorted with a stent. I've had no noticeable side effects from taking stations. Any concerns with your heart get it checked out. Make sure you read properly peer approved research to help you make up your mind. There are a few very vocal quacks out there in all spheres of life.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Alun

Post by Alun »

As it happens today is my 4th anniversary for taking statins and I've had zero side effects. I was diagnosed with acute peripheral arterial disease the 1st sign of which was a 13cm blockage in the main artery and no pulse in my left leg.
Good health, whatever you choose to do.
soho

Post by soho »

Paul_C wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:52 am . That said I still started getting chest pains when swimming. General consensus was it was acid reflux but I had some tests just to be sure.
Funny that !
Re: my original chest pains, the doc' has put me on a months worth of Lansoprazole gastro tablets, suspecting the pains are also from acid reflux. My pains are only really muscular, front and mostly back of chest and I just can't see that as a result of acid ? To be fair they have just covered the whole shit in a matter of days. Prostate test - negative. Small skin cancer spotted and removed 48hrs ago. Chest X- ray last Monday, Aorta Ultra sound scan on the 16th, that should be a laugh as I've still got surgery stitches over my heart area that won't be removed till the day before !

Anyways. I'm taking the Dragster on a day run to the Isle of white tomorrow (Ace cafe ride out group) Bit of fun with the Young'uns should boost my health a little 8-) Downside - I've had to cancel a trip to Denmark next week, but I'll still be there in the Summer unless the Ruskies have annexed it.

Thanks everyone, nice to know the burden of ill health is shared by us all. :D
crofty

Post by crofty »

I'm on 40mg per day, have been for 3 years. Had a TIA at 70 and the doctor put me on them to reduce the chance of strokes. Incidentally he said I was doing well as all his other patients my age were on them. No side effects here either. To be honest my pride was a bit hurt when he prescribed them for me but now everyone my age I speak to is on something or other.
soho

Post by soho »

You can tell I've got time on my hands with this much posting :D

Just picked up my first 56 day supply today. It's called Atorvastatin 10mg, so not a large dose daily. My chemist said things have come a long way this stuff in the last few years and barely anyone suffers side effects. As for my Ultra Scan on the 16th ? The earliest appointment to get the offending stitches removed is the 18th so looks like I'll have to take'm out myself just prior to my scan. :o (Godspeed, that won't upset anyone will it ?? )
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

soho wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:39 pm You can tell I've got time on my hands with this much posting :D

Just picked up my first 56 day supply today. It's called Atorvastatin 10mg, so not a large dose daily. My chemist said things have come a long way this stuff in the last few years and barely anyone suffers side effects. As for my Ultra Scan on the 16th ? The earliest appointment to get the offending stitches removed is the 18th so looks like I'll have to take'm out myself just prior to my scan. :o (Godspeed, that won't upset anyone will it ?? )
Pretty sure most scanning I did didn’t matter if stitches were still in, I’d leave them to be taken out by the team on the 18th just in case they notice something amiss.
👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Soho .. I think you'll find you won't be able to take them out yourself (if my cat is anything to go by)

Statins .. isn't it better to diet? IE eat suitable food.?

Acid reflux .. I used to have it bad .. took rennies etc, to no avail. Suffered bad with it. Then I realised its What you eat or drink. Stop them and it may go away.
For me recently it was too much tea (tannic acid) and biscuits (preservatives? wheat, whatever). Cut down, went away.

I think too many people rely on tablets for everything.
Last edited by garyboy on Fri May 05, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soho

Post by soho »

garyboy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:09 pm Soho .. I think you'll find you won't be able to take them out yourself (if my cat is anything to go by)
Were you trying to help, or was your cat trying to remove them alone without gloves ? :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

:D

Actually, I held the poor blighter down and got a scissors out. She squirmed and squirmed when she saw the sharp pointy scissors, then screamed, as only cats can, when i tried the first one, and she was gone like a flash. She came back a few days later though, giving me the bad eye lol.

They stayed in till she died .. but it saved me the vet's bill :P

Return to “THE PUB”