got the balls to buy one anyone?

The Things We Ride
dave h

Re: got the balls to buy one anyone?

Post by dave h »

Toe

Post by Toe »

Mason Klein is being supported in the 2024 dakar by Kove. Admittedly he reached out to them so there is the angle of sponsorship and a free bike. It'll be a good tes being that he's a young rider who finished 9th in 2022.

And good for Kove to have a non Chinese rider they're supporting themselves (rather than a full bought the bike themselves privateer).

I wasn’t sure if I would make it to Dakar this year. A few bumps in the road have made my path this year a real challenge. Lots of people and companies have stepped up to make sure I get there. I am grateful for the support of everyone who has sponsored me, bought a t-shirt or just made positive comments. I read them all and feel very supported. I reached out to Kove in the past few weeks and asked if they would support me this year. They agreed and I am excited to say I will be racing as a privateer with the support of Kove. Lots to do to get this program together as a privateer. I am training very hard right now and excited to attend Dakar for my 3rd year. Last year had its ups and downs for me - first with a stage win and then a pretty gnarly head injury. Dakar is a lot of preparation, skill and a healthy dose of good luck. One day the stars will align for me. My goal is to win Dakar. I will be there to prove I deserve my spot in the GP class. I hope to make my supporters, family and friends proud. I will be formally acknowledging all of my sponsors and supporters as soon as I finalize a few more details. Thanks to everyone that consistently support me (for 3 years now!) and can see my potential. Full speed ahead!!!
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Only trivial/self-induced problems on this vid

dave h

Post by dave h »

From the American importer regarding temp warning,

I believe the temp light, with the key on and red button out, is not necessarily a software bug. It lets you know the bike is still hot. Its a safety precaution and will go off when the bike cools down.

dave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

It's not unusual for water-cooled engines to heatsoak after they stop running.

My Aprilia Pegaso with a Rotax-based engine would activate its fan about 5 seconds after it was switched off if it had been running at normal temperatures. Many years ago, an acquaintance's Kawasaki Z1300 six would do the same.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Yea, its just that the water pump aint pumping so the water in the cylinder/head jackets gets hotter for a while and thats where the sensor is usually situated ...bugger all to do with software

I suppose you could use software to intercept the sensor output and pretend it wasnt happening if blissful ignorance is your thing
Its a trick............get an Axe
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

With reference to the coolant temperature warning light/gauge, this should not really be a problem as it is typical of many vehicles which are fitted with electrically operated cooling fans.

Have these folks never walked past vehicles that have just parked up on a motorway service area on a hot day? There are cooling fans cutting in all over the car park area. It is why folks on a motorway should slow down about two miles from a service area if parking or taking on petrol/diesel.

If I may, never rev an engine up and then immediately shut it down. Many modern engines, cars in particular, are fitted with turbos or superchargers and typically they will continue to spin but then with insufficient oil supply to cool down the bearings. Premature failure self induced!

TTFN

Hugh.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Turbos don't spin that long after the engine is shut down. The damage is mostly caused by heat. If they have been running on high for longer time, the blades in the exhaust side of the turbo are "glowing hot". When the oil has stopped flowing, the oil at the "bearing" basically burns away due to that heat. Next time the engine is started it has no lubrication for a moment. Do that often and the turbo gets damaged.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Richard Simpson Mark II

To be fair, lubrication and cooling of turbos has improved greatly since their introduction.

As a very young man: I recall being given a tour of what was then 'the world's most powerful agricultural tractor' at a show. It was an articulated John Deere imported from America. Prominent in the cab was a notice telling the driver to restart immediately if he managed to stall the thing or risk turbo damage. It also had an in-cab fridge to keep your sandwiches in!

A few years later, I found myself driving a Ford 7000 tractor...basically a Ford 5000 with a turbo which boosted the engine from under 70 bhp to about 90! It was a hot-rod of the tractor world, and would pull wheelies on demand unless there were weights on the front end. You had to let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting the engine off, and you could hear the turbo make a sort of sighing sound as it spooled down.

It's been decades since I drove a farm tractor, but I don't think any of this is particularly a problem any more. Certainly with trucks even the manufacturers' demo drivers don't seem to worry about just parking up and stopping the engine.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I had a Renault 5 GT Turbo in 1987 and the heat from the turbocharger used to percolate the fuel when the engine was hot and switched off. It made it really hard to start again. There was a mod, as far as I remember, that left the fan on for longer after the ignition was off.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “BIKES”