ABR Ireland Weekend 2023 - Sign Up Thread

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Flintlock

Re: ABR Ireland Weekend 2023 - Sign Up Thread

Post by Flintlock »

Folks,

A wee route I put together that takes you up to Achill Island

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Westpor ... 671631!3e0
You should also include a run up to here when you are there - great views

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Min ... 64!5m1!1e1

Edit - Just looked at that route on my phone & it's not the same one I thought I had put up via my laptop???
2nd edit - hopefully sorted now!
Last edited by Flintlock on Mon May 08, 2023 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heff

Post by Heff »

deke62 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:11 pm Hi Heff/ Flinty
Have got my confirmation from the venue so put me down as attending as usual.
I'll go for the food as well.
See you on the Friday! Looking forward to it.
Derek :D
Hi Derek

Good man, added to list in Post#1

See you then 8-)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:17 am
Out of curiosity what are your plans after you come off the ferry on morning of 17th? Arrival time listed as 9:30, likely to be out of the port for 10-10:30am. I decided not to head to France until September and am just getting another bike back on the road. Work on 17th has freed me up so I am giving thought to signing up for the weekend and heading up early as its all familiar territory.
Gosh, not much firm, a lot will depend on the weather and how I feel on the day, but here is current thinking following my 3 days up through Spain and France.

I was thinking of stopping a while in Cork for a change - perhaps until lunch - not actually stopped there for a long time (I tend to aviod large towns/cities when riding) so interested in how things have changed. Will likely swing by Macroom for afternoon coffee - its where my family originated, and tends to be a common pitstop for me (easy parking and good coffee shops in front of McCarthy castle - and usually someone will stop for a natter too). Some slow backroads north from there and stopping a little south of Limerick. I rode much of the coast in the south and south west last year, so will prob skip that this time.

Next day (Thurs) will be heading north again, no fixed route, will see where the road and my fancy takes me, but stopping north of Galway (avoiding the town - great as it is) to set me up for some of the roads Flinty recommends south of the venue on the Friday, before landing at Westport. That will also likely take in Knock, which again has become kind of a common pit stop for me.

On Sat I´ll probably go north of Westport and, if the weather gives me encouragement, out to Achill (again thanks to Flinty for sharing road suggestions) looping round through Lahardane on the way back perhaps. Last year I was struggling with my back at this point and had to take the day off, will see...

Early start on Sunday, slow backroads meandering diagonally south east across the island to Rosslare for the last ferry to Wales, to drop the bike at my mams before flying home Monday evening. Plan is to fly back up in June for the ABR Festival, and ride home through France (sort of) direct from that.

That´s kind of where I am in my head - some of which will no doubt actually transfer to the road. Just need to finish my backend rebuild now, or I won´t be going anywhere. I guess that´s what tomorrow´s extra bank holiday is for! :lol:

Looking forward to it!
Pat
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

hi heff/flinty please put me down for camping,received confirmation from the site.also for 2 breakfasts. jim
Heff

Post by Heff »

wideparting wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:42 pm hi heff/flinty please put me down for camping,received confirmation from the site.also for 2 breakfasts. jim
Good man Jim

See you then 8-)

Added to list in Post#1
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Great job Jim - see you next week.

A bit of additional info for those attending - area in blue has been allocated to us - handy to toilets/washroom & a recreation room
20230420_105847.jpg
20230420_105847.jpg (85.16 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
Also re the evening meal. The 30 euro per head is based on a minimum of 30 people. If there are less it will work out a bit more (total cost for all is 900 euro or 30 euro per head - if 30 plus) It is good value for the money & saves having to find somewhere in town.

It's looking like 25ish so far - so not far off
robbieog

Post by robbieog »

Hello there. I ride this area regularly and don't live that far from Westport. This is the route I'd take for some of the best views and riding to get to Clifden.

You can make your way to Louisburgh from Westport. I couldn't add anymore stops on Google maps
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9BoUQk9fqQDu9pzr5
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Me and my Wife came over on 10th to watch the NW200 and have been working our way around the WAW to Galway. Unfortunately we are due back home on Saturday 20th so can't meet up with you guys but the weather, scenery and riding has been fantastic. Hope you have a great weekend 8-)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Robbie,

Many thanks for your input - much appreciated.

Toni - shame you can't drop by but great to hear you and your wife are having a great trip. Always great to see good weather at the NW200 - shows off that area in all its glory.

Fingers crossed for decent weather in Westport for the weekend - see you all there & safe travels everyone.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Folks,

Just got an email from the site re the pitches/number - they have 13 confirmed bookings - this is considerably less than the number of attendees on the list on the 1st post - can everyone ensure that they follow the instructions on the 1st post and book their pitches directly with the site on the email or number provided.

Just a reminder what food will be on offer on the Saturday night

A selection of pepperoni or margherita pizzas
A choice of 2 buffet options (Thai chicken curry, fragrant rice and braised beef & Guinness, buttered new Irish potatoes) & 2 salads
1 chocolate brownie with ice cream
A selection of breads

Many thanks

Flintlock

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”