A tale of two test-rides

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: A tale of two test-rides

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

This is the tool for the job...a step drill from Lidl (I'm not proud).

Note the pilot hole in the middle of the O!
GG cone.JPG
GG cone.JPG (54.75 KiB) Viewed 35647 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

And here's how far the hole centres are adrift from the markers on the plastic.
GG miss.JPG
GG miss.JPG (55.4 KiB) Viewed 35646 times
To be fair, JD Racing warned me about this.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Here's the rear panel in place with the fitting studs poking out of the holes, which are now drilled to full diameter.

Good fit, really
GG firstfit.JPG
GG firstfit.JPG (63.15 KiB) Viewed 35644 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

And here's the rack in place. All fasteners and spacers are as provided. All good quality and fit nicely.
gg rack.JPG
gg rack.JPG (88.71 KiB) Viewed 35643 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

For the next phase, I switched to Adventure Spec as supplier, as they actually have components in stock that get delivered in a couple of days.

The ES 700 is either a light road bike or a heavy dirt bike. The sidestand needs a bit more support than it has as stock.

Here's the Adventure Spec solution
GG footpart.JPG
GG footpart.JPG (66.22 KiB) Viewed 35640 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

And here it is fitted.

you are told to put glue on the threads before fitting.
GG footfitted.JPG
GG footfitted.JPG (54.67 KiB) Viewed 35639 times
It sticks out quite a long way and makes the stand a little more difficuylt to deplay, but you don't have to worry about the bike falling over on soft ground
Richard Simpson Mark II

The ADV Spec crashbars were chosen in preference to the factory option ones because being aluminium they are lighter, and they also brace across the bike in front of the exhaust. The fit is very precise...with the bars torqued up on the side, the two little allen bolts went straight in. I gave them a spray of grease as they are right in the firing line from the front wheel.
gg bars.JPG
gg bars.JPG (72.53 KiB) Viewed 35637 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

There are little sacrificial bumpers that clamp on the top of each sidebar. Here's one just clipped in place...when the screws are tightened they look quite neat

I've fitted some other components too: Adv spec guard on the oil filter and Nomad guards for the front and rear ABS and the rear master cylinder, but they just bolt on and aren't that exciting
gg bumper.JPG
gg bumper.JPG (64.62 KiB) Viewed 35632 times
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:55 pm
DavidS wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:41 am Will an Abba Superbike Stand work on the GasGas Richard?

As the Husky doesn’t have a centre stand fitted and, grab handles aside, as I have the same support issues with my 2014 690 Enduro, I replaced the Abba I sold some while ago. One stand fits both bikes for home maintenance.
Nice and stable on the ground with clear access to all parts of the bike (except the swinging arm bearing, obviously) but I will have to tweak the width to fit on my hydraulic bench - it is about 30mm too wide.
As you no doubt know, the 690 comes with chunky grab handles but I have fitted an equally useful Rally Raid rack.
I've got an Abba...which is pretty much a permanent fixture on my RSV1000 garage queen. I looked on the Abba website to see if they did adapators for the ES700, and they did, but they also said it needed some kind of raiser to cope with the height of the GasGas. TBH, I find the Abba very good at keeping the bike stable, but a right palaver to use. I was hoping someone could point me at a step-up stand that was low enough to just slide under the GG's sumpguard.
I bought the spiel and had the raising piece but it worked on the Norden ok without it. The wheels were just touching the ground so a plank would be just as good. Not tried it on the 690 yet but that is lowered 10mm at the front and around 30mm at the back so probably won’t need it.
I would use it any day rather than trying to prop it up from underneath as I’ve never had much stability confidence with that method.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

And here it is on its first post-workshop outing: marshalling at the Exeter Trial near Fingle Bridge in Devon.
gg inthewoods.jpg
gg inthewoods.jpg (210.67 KiB) Viewed 35618 times

An 80-mile or so round trip including two or three miles in the woods.

Used about six litres of petrol, I think. Cruised at 70 mph on the A30 with a lot more to come.

The TCK80 tyres aren't that good off road at road pressures...the front feels like it could wash out to the side. Everything else seemed to work perfectly...I left in in Mode 1 with full ABS and TC engaged as I was only riding slowly. Lovely and quiet, too.

Return to “BIKES”