Scotland Trip

Bikers and riding
SimonH

Scotland Trip

Post by SimonH »

Hi, me and the missus are off to Bonny Scotland on the GS for two weeks at the end of june, camping weather permitting, has anyone any tips on where to go/places to visit/ good campsites?

Me and my Brother travelled up to the Isle of Skye in April on a long weekend and the scenery and roads were fantastic. After Glasgow we followed the A82 to Loch Ness and then the A87 to Skye.

That was my first time in Scotland and we plan to go a lot further in June. Any advice would be great. Cheers.
Alun

Re:Scotland Trip

Post by Alun »

Hi simon, I'll post up a few suggestions later but right now I need to ask – have you ever been to the Highlands in June? If not then you need to read this, especially as you're camping. The little bastards are ferocious but if you pack the right kit you can minimise the onslaught. If you don't they can be overwhelming.

That said the Highlands are a truly spectacular location, even in June/July – the main midge months.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

No, not been up there in the summer months but have been told and read up about the midges. Got to say I am a bit concerned , apparently the secret weapon is Avon ' Skin so Soft ' ??
Alun

Post by Alun »

The three areas I've revisited the most up in the north of Scotland are;

The Knoydart Peninsula- the last true wilderness region of the UK. However to make the most of the region you'll need to park the bike up and set out on foot. The peninsula has no roads and the village of Inverie is still only accessed by boat – or on foot. There you will find the UK's most remote pub, The Old Forge.

Torridon – not that much further north than Skye and one of the most spectacular areas and great for outdoor activities and camping. The roads up there – as you know – are fantastic for riding.

Cairngorms – again you'll need to get off the bike and up on the high plateau to really appreciate the Cairngorms which are the UK's only area which is still classed as Arctic Tundra. The weather up top can be ferocious, even in summer. I can still remember not being able to stand up in one particularly brutal storm some years back.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”